Myo-facial/Fibromyalgia/Chronic Muscle Pain

Symptoms but no diagnosis? Have u found a good doctor in bkk who knows how to diagnose and treat chronic (muscle) pain?

DHEA worked wonders for about a week, pain vanished, but the effect dissapated. Did alot of research on Pregnenolone, only available in the US, ordered it, but no effect...

Anti inflamatories, muscle relaxant, massage, temporary, minor, sometimes no effect. Which points to a problem other than rheumatic disease, arthritis, tendonitis...

Low or major depression can be a cause of low levels pf seratonin/ over production of substance P, from lack of deep sleep. Thus the prescription of antidepressants, or neurotransmitters such as:

Elavil.

Ultram (tramadol).

Flexeril.

Sinequan.

Paxil.

Serzone.

Xanax.

Klonopin

Just looking into these.

Stew;

At the risk of being branded a commie, this is an instance where I would seriously consider the 2 pronged approach. Western drugs for some immediate relief, and Eastern long term approach to work on the real cause.

I do understand the problems caused by lack of REM sleep, I did 17 years without any. Chronic pain affects 2 of my friends, one from being blown up too many times and the other who was trying to save 200 baht and slipped off his roof shattering his hip in over 200 places.

Both function reasonably normal lives. Neither found any long term solutions in Western medicine.

Both say pain can be good, it reminds us we are alive. :bow:

I think there is a fibro message board on delphi forums. If the problem continues see a nuerologist and possibly get an EMG done to test for nerve/muscle damage. I would be carefull if taking some of the stuff you mentioned on a regular basis such as xanax. I found .5 gram a day is enough. I also took B12. My muscles were twitching and cramping up so bad I could not get to sleep, after 3 months it suddenly lessoned, if due to what I was taking (lots of other stuff) or not I don't know. Had an EMG done yesterday, only takes 20 mins-peter

Peter, whats an EMG? Where can u have it done, and whats the cost? Also, what were the results?

I believe a large part of my chronic muscle pain is do to poor sleep, and thus the interest in those who have had any success with the above sleep concoctions.

I was going to start a thread concerning meditation, I find it very helpful, there is a TM center in Bkk, on Ratchada, anyone been?

The worrying thing about muscle problems is that it can be a symptom of some serious disease involving nerve damage i.e. lyme disease, ms, als etc so if the problems carries on a lot of people like to get these possibilities looked at. I forget what EMG stands for but they attach needle electrodes into various points to test the activity in them, any weakness or nerve damage shows up. I imagine this test would be very cheap if in LOS, in the US it's about $600 I am in UK and paid about £350.

Lack of sleep could well contribute also stress and anxiety, try the xanax. TM is to meditation what macdonalds is to food, I would not recommend at all. If I lived in LOS I would certainly want to look at Dharmakaya meditation at wat paknam in thonburi, do a search for the web site. It is not main stream and they have some wacky ideas but I think the method is very interesting. This is the place in the book life as a siamese monk by R Randall. He was the first monk from UK in 1954.

I tried all sorts of things including lots of tonic water-has quinine in as well as drinking lots of water.Why not see a neurologist at Bumrungrad?-peter

Ok, yes I've had the EMG done, it was years ago...nothing.

Also it was years ago that my rheumatologist told me that my problem is to do with sleep, he gave me mild anti depressants, but I never really took it seriously...or should i say, I think it wasn't 'agressive' enough, to use the lingo.

I've been taking xanax for a few months now, it certainly puts me out. However, sometimes it doesn't!

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/healthyoutlook/010725fib.html

Archived