Phat Thai

Zaad

I love it. It used to be my favorite dish in Thailand.

Enough grandma-talk.

Why the Winged-Saints-In-Heaven do they put sugar AND chili in it??? ::

I usually buy my Phat Thai at the market and they either mix it in the food or give it in a seperate plastic bag with the chili.

It takes me minutes to get rid of the sugar when they mix it. :banghead:

Why the hell do they mix sugar in these kind of dishes in the first place?

Why sweeten the Phat Thai when the spicy one is the best one?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thais prize four basic flavors: salty, sweet, spicy, and sour. Bitter is also a favorite but not part of the top four.

Sweet and spicy are two of the favorite combinations. Sugar helps balance off chili to avoid being too hot even for a Thai. A good example is the sugar chili combo used as a dip for fruit.

With Pad thai I have to agree that too sweet is not my favorite. I prefer spicy with a shot of lime juice.

Lao Isaan on the other hand prefer salty, fishy and spicy. Hence their preference for Pla Laa and Bpoo Khem.

This is the main difference between Som Tam and Tam Thai. I much prefer Tam Thai as I'm not a fan of true Isaan food.

To each his or her own.

Limbo,

It looks to me that Thais put at least one spoon of sugar in every dish they prepare.

I've noticed the same, awkward isn't it? ::

Brink15,

You're right about the 4 basic flavors. Apart from that 99 out of 100 times I hear my girl saying either "KHEM" (salty?) or "KHOM" (sour?) after her first spoonful. ::

Always complaining that little ... :cover:

Apart from that 99 out of 100 times I hear my girl saying either "KHEM" (salty?) or "KHOM" (sour?) after her first spoonful.

Khom is bitter. Bree-oh is sour.

Yeah, you're right. Some of them just love to knock the food a little. I think it's kind of a "they make it better in my home town" thing. I used to hear this quite a bit.

Archived