Martial Arts, which?

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

Shes only coming up to two years old but I'm really interested in my nipper taking up a martial art as soon as its viable. I have no idea in any martial art but from what I hear it brings confidence and general fitness and self discipline. When and which please?...Muay Thai seems ok?

I hesitate to reply for fear that this will rehash a previous my arts better than yours debate from the S&L forum.

Muay Thai is very effective but practicing it might squash littlin's nose.

In reality it will more likely depend on what is available in your area and which of the instructors are both competent and capable of teaching young children.

At a very young age you're just building a foundation for future ability rather than training for actual self defense. There really isn't a bad art for a young child to study if the instructor is good.

If it were my child I would steer away from arts that are more flowery such as some of the forms of kung fu. Wing chun is probably one of the better kung fu styles to start early. The nice thing about wing chun, as well as aikido, is that it teaches a child ways to avoid getting hit. A small child isn't going to have the size, power, speed, or leverage to effectively strike a larger opponent. Against anyone more than a few years older than the child the best bet is speed, as in running the hell out of there.

That said I'm planning on starting my son when he turns either four or five depending on his motor skill level. :bow:

LPhil,

For a girl I'd go with Judo classes. Less striking, and good for smaller people to learn how to protect themselves and use the strength and size and weight of their opponent to their advantage. Had a female cousin who became pretty expert in Judo. Unbelievable how she could toss guys twice her size around!

Just IMO.

Cent

LP,

Another good one for girls (and guys as well) is Ju Jitsu. Basically the art of dislocating other peoples joints, and using the oponents force against them. Very popular with the police force although no need to be big and beefy to do this one. Good for lazy people too ::

Guest lazyphil

<<At a very young age you're just building a foundation for future ability rather than training for actual self defense>>

Exactly what I was thinking about. About 5 seems a reasonable age too.

Keep in mind at that age children are learning discipline and form along with building self esteem and confidence moreso than how to actually fight. I would suggest for a small child Akido, ju jitsu for self defense. If you want them to learn how to actually fight then kenpo/kempo, shotokan karate, American boxing, kick boxing or Muay Thai(have good health insurance for MT and be aware of potential knee/leg damage).

I would definitely stay away from Tae Kwan Do unless you want her to enjoy the sport of it. The style as it is taught is not practical for self defense or street fighting.

The most important thing you can do is visit the local schools, sit in on a few classes, evaluate the instructors and how they interact with the children. What you want to look for is an instructor that has a serious pedigree(don't be fooled by belts, find out who he studied from), communicates well with children, has students who have spent some years with him and . Don't get caught up with schools where you can "buy" your belt or that have 8yrold black belts. Talk with other parents and periodically attend a session to watch your childs progress.

A good and experienced instructor will more than likely havce studied many different styles and he will incorporate them into his lessons. Good instructors never stop learning themselves and are always looking to improve their techniques.

On the other hand, one advantage of Tae Kwon Do is it is more transferrable. Should one move, there's likely to be a school near meaning one doesn't have to start again at the bottom in a different art. Unless one's aim is to be a fighter, I would think it better to stay away from high impact martial arts like muay thai. If one's aim is to be an effective street fighter, brazilian jiu jitsu is well suited because most of the time you end up on the ground and that's where it comes into its own. The one thing I really like about martial arts over regular strength training is you just get really flexible, limber, and able to meet just anything you need to do day to day really well. The one commonality is martial arts in general all lift a person's mental and physical toughness. That's what it comes down to at the end of the day; that little edge you didn't have before.

Says Brink15:

Wing chun is probably one of the better kung fu styles to start early. The nice thing about wing chun, as well as aikido, is that it teaches a child ways to avoid getting hit.

I can second that on Wing Chun. It's a no no-nonsense, practical, kung fu. No high-kicks, no flash, just the works. Available in Britain as well, I believe.

Archived