what does this mean? "jai loh leh, thao hua ghuu"

if it was said as a joke by a friend you play act angry. if it was said seriously it was a medium heavy insult.

it means something like: "can't you finally decide, you old snake head (an old man who likes young girls)"

depends very much on the situation where and how it was said.

said by an old girlfriend over msn chat, (we're friends), I was telling her about breaking off a relation with an 18 years old :cover:...

She thought it was funny, so I'm guessing it wasn't meant too seriously...

What should i say in response? :hubba: Something to surprise her...

you could start your email with

"jark Phoo Thao Hua Ngoo thueng Nang Barb"

means something like from old snakehead to the sinful lady.

if you prefer heavier stuff you could use the maryetmaemueng-shit (beeing too much described on this board already) as your old gf's sense of humour seems to go beyond any limit....

You'll have to (well up to u) explain some of the cultural implications of these names, being called a snake head etc...I'm not sure why or how to take it as an insult or play...u know.

Like for example, a thai teacher was telling me about different 'classes' of insults, the ones that create life long grudges, start fights, or are a sign to fight. or the ones thaT CAN GET U KILLED! :cover: (same to our own culture i suppose)

One I liked was "nuk hua khun reu, leur?" Translating something like 'why do u make my little problem so important? So important as to put it over your head?' This supposedly is of the class that u would start a fight...

Interesting little things to chat with students about... :eek:

>>>You'll have to (well up to u) explain some of the cultural implications of these names, being called a snake head etc...I'm not sure why or how to take it as an insult or play...u know.<<<

the snake head one is definately nothing too serious - almost always used as a joke, or a bit of a reprimand, at times even with a bit of envy.

obvously, like anywhere, it very much depends on the situations with those insults. close friends call themselfes "ai hia" the same way we can tell a good friend to fuck off. but if strangers go down the "ai hia" line then this will more often than not end in a fight.

the nonverbal forms of communication are often more important than the verbal ones.

one thing though. a foreigner should stay away also from the friendly forms of insulting unless it is made sure to be OK. if not one can easily lose a friend.

[color:"red"]one thing though. a foreigner should stay away also from the friendly forms of insulting unless it is made sure to be OK. if not one can easily lose a friend.

[/color]

I don't find "insult" friendly, from whoever. Why would you bother insulting someone in an "friendly" way? :: It is quite a waste, IMO.

Jasmine :devil:

Says jasmine:

[color:"red"]one thing though. a foreigner should stay away also from the friendly forms of insulting unless it is made sure to be OK. if not one can easily lose a friend.

[/color]

I don't find "insult" friendly, from whoever. Why would you bother insulting someone in an "friendly" way? :: It is quite a waste, IMO.

Jasmine
:devil:

Hi

Just showed this post to my wife NTG (board name) she likes your responses to the guys.

Anyway...she said why do they want to say these bad words..dont say it (talking to me) Thai people will complain to/about her...teaching husband bad words...again don''t say it she says.

Her sister however ""loves"" to tell me ..i always forget them...life is too short :angel:

Archived