Any Recent Experience O-A Visa at LA Consulate?

luckyfarang

"So, check the date before you leave the immigration area at Don Muang."

I think Jasmine is correct here. You will only get a 3 mos stamp on entry with any visa issued outside Thailand. After 2 mos or so, you must go to Imm. to get an 1 year extension stamp. You must still report your address every 90 days.

TH

jasmine,

My Visa is clearly for 1 year as it specifies issued date (August 25, 2003) and expiration date (August 24, 2004).

However, I don't understand the stamping business at the airport since I have never had a Visa before (only got the "automatic" 30 day visitior "Visa" at the airport previously). But, I guess they stamp to indicate when you entered and must show expected departure as well(?).

As indicated by redwood, shouldn't be a big deal in any event. So, I'll worry about it at the airport or in BKK if necessary.

TM

From the LA Consulate web site "With the Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa, the applicant may request a one-year stay"

Does indeed suggest that this is for a 1 year entry, though I know that nothing written in English, especially on a web site is binding. It seems to me that if the entry was not for a year, the consulate would have made some sort of a note so that you wouldn't find yourself over-staying inadvertently.

After looking through my passport, it appears that you cannot tell how long you should expect to be permitted to stay (and I understand that in the end, it is actually left to the discretion of the immigration officer). I suspect the 1 year dates you are looking at is the range of dates you are permitted to enter.

I think it is a good idea to keep Redwood13's advice in mind and check the "Admitted Until" stamp that the immigration officer will place adjacent to your visa at the airport, before you smile and leave the officer's desk, and if its less than the 1 year you expect, smile and politely ask if this the correct "Admitted until" date for a type O-A.

Would you do us a favor and close the loop on this interesting, though admittedly not highly critical question, by posting here to let us know what they stamp in your passport when you arrive?

Side note: The original post askes if anyone has had experience getting an O-A from the visa lady in L.A., other than zen3dummies report of "bad luck", no one has come forward to report any degree of success.

HAS ANYONE EVERY RECEIVED A TYPE O-A FROM LOS ANGELES??::

Welcome to Thailand Tiger Moth- I hope your experience is even better than you anticipate! :beer:

Rick

TM,

Yes indeed, I would follow RF's advice, make sure politely at immigration that you have an O-A visa.

I heard of many farangs here you need to go to any immigration office in Thailand to extend the 90 days you normally get on a O visa with proof of 800.000 baht in Thai bank to a full first year.

I do have a O visa and do visa runs. In fact I have to go back to europe every 6 months for social security and health insurances reasons. No urgent reason to bring 800.000 baht to the kingdaom, but interested to know what you will get on arrival.

Never heard any one getting a one year stay authorisation outside Thailand. It's when they stamp your immigration card that you see until what day you can stay.

Very confusing information on this topic indeed :(

My Visa is clearly for 1 year as it specifies issued date (August 25, 2003) and expiration date (August 24, 2004).

The expiration date only means you can enter Thailand at any time up to that date. It does not mean you can stay in Thailand longer than the normal 90 days per entry.

My experience at the Thai LA consulate ( there twice in the past few years, other business than visa) is that the place is very disorganized, piles of papers/files and so on stacked high on everyones desk.

maybe it works the same as thailand ( but did not try myself), bring a

"gift" to get things done swiftly.

Archived