"too"(much)

tonychang

>>>>I also remember being told mahk bpai meant "excessive"<<<<<

Yes.........

maak bpai = "too much".

Relates to quantity.

Relating to price/cost, would be "Phaeng bpai" (too expensive)

Can you just stick bpai on the end?

I would think not. bai,pai, bpai= 'go', by itself. But I've always wondered about this. 'Bai" = go. 'Pai' (short vowel, middle tone) = too. But my book also says 'pai' (same tone) = go.

I could never get this straight. I would love to know the distinction between bai, pai, bpai.

I've always thought more a translation problem between sources, rather than actual different tones, and meanings.

Would love some intelligent info here, about this. Really is confusing to the beginner.

HT

[color:"red"] would think not. bai,pai, bpai= 'go', by itself. But I've always wondered about this. 'Bai" = go. 'Pai' (short vowel, middle tone) = too. But my book also says 'pai' (same tone) = go.

[/color]

Same tone is correct.

[color:"red"] Relating to price/cost, would be "Phaeng bpai" (too expensive)

Can you just stick bpai on the end?

[/color]

Yes ones can stick the "bpai" at the end which make the the meaning as "excessive or too". The examples are "Klai bpai" = too far, "Oun bpai" = too fat and so on. Mind you, there is no such thing as "Suay bpai" = too beautiful, for a woman. :neener:

The word "bpai", lucky for you, with different tones don't have much meaning so this word the tone is forgiving.

Cheers! ::

The commonest situation I would use this in is when questioned why I didnt have a Thai girlfriend and I would reply "chop mahk gwah poo ying falang"

Perhaps I'm being a little picky but I think this phrase would more often be said the other way around as in .

"chop poo ying falang mahk gwah"

[color:"red"] so does that mean "porm bpai" does mean too skinny?

[/color]

Yes, the subtle meaning is that it is "porm bpai", "for you", only, not for everyone else

I heard a wonderful sentence once in a Thai market. A woman asked the price of a kilo of mangoesteen and when told she said "Phang Pbai somrup nam yoi nai krapoe khong Chan" = "(the price) is too high for my (stomach's) digest juice"!.

Cheers! ::

Archived