Avtars

ultras67

After having a couple of static jpegs as avtars I recently wandered into the realms of animated gifs.

But its not working! Anyone got ideas why? :help:

It showed briefly yesterday OK and then disappeared. I assumed it was because I was updating my site

Its working when I look at my profile here on NP but on my postings it comes up as a Lycos logo. Its on my web site OK. I did the normal thing of right clicking the gif, going to properties and cutting and pasting the location

( http://iainbangkok.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/chk_flag.gif )

as I have in the past with no problem but.....

Cheers

Please excuse the ignorance, but by hotlinking do you mean any image or only moving ones? ( and how can you tell who allows it or not? )

I used jpegs from my site before for avtars here with no problem, its only the first time I tried a gif it came up with their logo.

Now that I think about it, Lycos did update their software a few months ago and the last avtar I used was nicked from someone elses site.

Bugger, I wonder if I am going to have to do it again and hope it doesnt disappear. :rolleyes:

Lycos has not allowed hot linking for years. Hot linking protection is in place regardless of jpeg or gif format images.

You usually can't tell if a host will allow it or not. Sound business sense however is to disallow, if you offer 'free' server space. There are however many free hosts out there and I imagine quite a few will allow you to do what you are trying achieve here. Shop around! :)

Or better yet...look into if your ISP (internet service provider) offers some free web space. In my experience ISP:s usually don't bother with hot linking protection.

Archived