Any recommendations for med. care in Pattaya

mongatu

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than any of the Pattaya hospitals, especdially the farang priced BKK-Pattaya Hopsital...I'd go to the Queen Sirikit Navy Hospital, in Sattahip. Enormous facility, excellent docs, Thai prices, but none of the nice tiled floors and ambiance you get at the upscale Pattaya hospitals. Procedures performed at the Pattaya 'farang' hospitals cost much much less at Sirikit...with similar outcomes.

My experinces with hospitals in Pattaya:

Pattaya Memorial:

Only gone for STD/HIV checkups and it's professional, good and cheap. This is were all the bargirls go. Smallish hospital.

Bangkok Pattaya:

A bit more expensive. Had mostly good experiences. One for treatment of an ear problem. Doctor was excellent, and did not even charge me for the followup appointment! Another, GF though her thyroid might be acting up - consultation, and tests were very professional and cheap. However she also though her hair was falling out - doctor proscribed expensive medications (rogaine) that were unnecessary given non-confirmation of symptoms. Overall I highly recommend though.

Pattaya International:

I went to be checked for some possible intestinal problems. Doctor ordered two tests. On reflection I realized that the second one should not have been done unless the first one came out positive, and it involved many xrays, which are expensive (well I paid like 2Kbaht) and should be kept to a minimum. Makes me wonder how many unnecessary tests and treatments they do in the interests of $. This hospital is more expensive that the others. On the otherhand they all speak excellent english, and they are more farang oriented, and well equipped. Had good treatment for a songkran eye injury here too.

Of course you'll get the fullest range of services at Bumrungrad in BKK, but they are not the cheapest (esp. the meds). They market themselves a lot as the premiere hospital in Thailand, and have a reputation for health 'tourism'. Maybe true for heart/cancer prodedures, but I think they are somewhat overrated for general health care . I actually went there for my ear problem, was misdiagnosed, charged 600B each for 2 appointments 3 days appart. Bangkok Pattaya diagnosed correctly and was cheaper . Dental care is expensive (GF was shocked I paid 1200B for a cleaning)

So much of the quality and professionalism of the care is dependent on the individual doctor you interact with, and if you can afford it, it's always useful to get a second opinion.

(I love healthcare in Thailand. Mostly well educated and not much red tape. My cousin in California, who just had a baby - a totally normal, healthy birth, was billed EIGHTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for the 'procedure'. Her insurance covered it, but this absurdity is indicative a system that is in bad, bad need of fixing. )

HIV 500 or so for a 20 min test, about 300 for the 24 hr one. This is the same all over town, but I'd go with a hospital over a clinic any day for this.

If I recall, a consultation for most troubles at pattaya memorial, including stds, was in the neighborhood of 300. Tests and meds often signifigantly extra. Dunno all what tests available.

Archived