Britons are the worst binge drinkers in Europe

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, I have to ask how the Irish get on at the bar : if you've ever stood around waiting for a barperson to draw a handle of Guinness or one of the treacle-like stouts that they love so dearly, you'll know what I mean. Dont get me wrong - this is great beer - but it takes long enough to get to the bar and get served as it is (at least here in Oz) ......

Having said that, I cant wait to get back to the Big Smoke next week and start dowing pints at Irish Murphys - see you there :)

yeah dealing with basic stuff in life like alcohol seems to be very hard on the isles.

funny that I still remember my very first binge when I was only 14 at some pub in the north of england around coalville! got so drunk in bitter that I wasn't even alolowed onwards to the disco with the rest of our sports club tour :rolleyes:

anyways back in DK the cheap supermarked elephant beers ruined the rest of my teenage years & now I'm trying hard to reach FJ status :doah:

not really sure what I wanted to state here :drunk:

Says LaoHuLi:

Britons are the worst binge drinkers in Europe...

[color:"blue"]To deal with the problem, the government plans to coax guzzlers to linger over their alcoholic beverages by extending drinking hours.
[/color]

What do you figure FJ will it work ?
:beer::grinyes:

Hmmn, interesting question, sir. Well, I stayed in Edinburgh, Scotland for a few years where it was, and still is possible (if not obligatory judging by most Scots I met there :drunk:) to get a drink in a bar 24 hours a day :up: (this fact had perhaps some small influence on my decision to venture forth and reside there awhile :o). I don't mean that all the pubs were open all day, but if you played your cards right you could do a 24 hour round-the-clock pub crawl, beginning in a notorious spit-and-sawdust "fight" alehouse in Leith that threw open its doors at precisely 5AM (and was, by 5.05AM, customarily full of red-jowled inebriated postmen having a quick few beer-and-vodka "bracers" ;) before starting their daily rounds ? hence so much misdirected mail in Edinburgh no doubt :() then you could merrily bar-hop around the city all day and finally end up being turfed out of a night club at about 5AM, a full hard day's heavy boozing later. :beer:

So, to answer your question: extended licensing hours? Never did me any harm, pal. :)

jack :help:

FJ,

Gidday. On behalf of all Aussies, I'd like to extend an invitation to yourself and your fellow Brits to come downunder (er, you know what I mean !) for the Rugby World Cup.

We've got women here who will give you a run for your money. Then we'll see who can handle their grog ! Sanuk ? Trust me, drinking with them is infinitely safer than engaging in other forms of social intercourse, beer goggles or no ..... :grinyes:

I've just been re-reading this misconceived diatribe against British inebriates :: after a quiet midweek night out in Stoke, UK :o with my British mate Smokey :: ? 20 pints of lager each in an afternoon drinking den, a couple of hefty lines of speed apiece in the back of a taxi to an off license, then a wee "puff of the magic glass pipe" round the back of a friendly local kebab house while Smokey had a shite inside a phone box and we drank the litre of cooking vodka we'd nicked from the "offie". :)

And then we hit a night club for the 6-8PM tequila-promotion happy hour and ended up, via a couple of "trendy" wine-bar type pubs :down: then a "private" men's club :hubba:, drinking absinthe in a crackhouse in Burnely at 5AM playing cards and getting sucked off for free by a drunk Scottish hooker. :up:

(We had to take it a bit easy 'cos Smokey's a dentist and was pulling some poor sod's wisdom teeth at 8 the next morning, and I was on 9AM jury duty at the Stoke District Court. :up:)

With which in mind, I think someone's making a hell of a blunder somewhere here ::. Shouldn't this misguided thread be titled: Britons are the best binge drinkers in Europe...? :applause::bow::applause:

jack :beer:

Archived