Britons are the worst binge drinkers in Europe

I know its not Danish but I've been quaving more than a few pints of Staropramen and I'm not really a lager drinker and at my local it comes in a big fancy brand name glass.I think its Chekozlovakian as I have heard its only 20 pence(13 bht !)in Prague!Great stuff :drunk:

I might put the feelers out to see if any of our mob might be interested in a long weekend in Prague next year :drunk::devil:.Hopefully Ib13 will be interested and act as "guide" :hubba:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FJ,

Gidday. On behalf of all Aussies, I'd like to extend an invitation to yourself and your fellow Brits to come downunder (er, you know what I mean !) for the Rugby World Cup.

We've got women here who will give you a run for your money.

UNLEASH THE VILLAGE IDIOT! :bow:

Hey art,

all you do is order the next pint when the Guinness level drops to 3 fingers..... easy!

Before I did much travelling I had been warned that Guinness doesn't taste the same abroad.... so I wasn't really inclined to drink it when I went overseas... choosing instead to stick to local brews.

One day I was in a bar in Byron Bay when I noticed a sign hanging from the ceiling, it said, 'Guinness, now tastes the same as in Ireland.".

I took them at their word and ordered pint.

The bar maid watched as I took the first sip and screwed up my face in disgust..... 'It doesn't, does it?', she said. "No", I said, "It doesn't.". Bastards.

Ah maybe so but what were they drinking?There is a big difference between Stella Artois,Kronenburg 1664 and our dark beers than VB(very boring)Tooeys(for katoeys) etc! :grinyes:

The Aussies are far superior when it comes to rugby and cricket but fall flat on their faces when it comes to brewing a decent pint but your Barossa and Hunter valley wines are superb and knock the French stuff for six :p:drunk:!

Before I did much serious boozing :beer: ? in my early teens I guess it must've been :: ? I too had been warned that Guinness doesn't taste the same abroad.... so I wasn't really inclined to drink it when I went on the piss in England... choosing instead to stick to a gallon of locally watered-ale and a half bottle of Navy rum per night. :up:

One morning I was in a bar in Stoke, though, when I noticed a sign hanging from the ceiling, it said, "Guinness, now tastes shite ? the same as in Ireland!". :o

I took them at their word and drank ten pints over two hours. :drunk:

The bar maid watched as I took the first sip of the tenth pint and screwed up my face in disgust..... "It does, doesn't it?", she said. "Yup", I said, "It does." Then I ordered four more pints just to make sure. Bastards.

jack :help:

HeeHee :)

Sorry, Fidel and FJ - I've also been led astray by similar shite advertising : the Chinese are particularly good at licensing big name brands and sticking the local stuff in the bottle ... a shame really, as I quite like the local beer, but not at import prices.

BTW, Byron is currently THE East Coast battleground between developers and conservationists : too much of a good thing and you've got another Miami / Phuket / <insert tourist strip here> :grinyes:

Ah maybe so but what were they drinking?There is a big difference between Stella Artois,Kronenburg 1664 and our dark beers than VB(very boring)Tooeys(for katoeys) etc!

The Aussies are far superior when it comes to rugby and cricket but fall flat on their faces when it comes to brewing a decent pint but your Barossa and Hunter valley wines are superb and knock the French stuff for six

Rusty,

This is becoming an increasingly testosterone-charged debate, and I want to make one thing absolutely clear : personally, I am not much of a drinker. Its largely about match practice, and I was definitely better at it as a young soldier, but I also lost way too many brain cells. Hangovers frighten me more than my own mortality, and I now find myself having a glass of water after each and every beer. Yes, I do answer to 'Big Girls Blouse', and proud of it :neener:

That aside, we do have access to many of the European / British beers you mention here, albeit in bottles or the 'local' version on-tap (see FJ's warning above, and I know several people who swear by them. The issue is cost. I agree that the 'big sellers' such as VB, Tooheys and XXXX (Queenslanders cant spell 'B-E-E-R'...) are very ordinary, but thats what happens when you brew something for the bland mass appeal : 'Budweiser Downunder'. If you can get your hands on Cascade (Tasmania), Coopers (SA) or any of the boutique beers available in most capitals, you may reassess your opinion of our beer.

Interesting that you mention wine - I still dont know how women here can down so many glasses and still maintain (to my drunken ears, anyway) some semblance of sobriety. I guess its good preparation for the rigours of childbirth and seeing the little darlings thru to other side of University :grinyes:

BTW, have you actually seen our Rugby team play in the last 18 months ? They are getting better - hopefully, the Wallabies will make the final 4 : anything beyond that would exceed many of our expectations.

but I also lost way too many brain cells.

That why you are as smart as you today. Brain cells have a herd instinct. THe weak ones fall to the back of the pack and consumed by predators such as alcohol.

So you only culled the herd of weakened cells. Ask any drinker, they all know they are smarter after a few pints.

:beer:

[color:"green"] Byron is currently THE East Coast battleground between developers and conservationists ... [/color]

I hope to God they leave it the way it is. It's a seriously special place and anyone who cares about the place should do everything they can to preserve and protect it.

:nono:

If the shit hits the fan I reckon it's only a matter of time before the Crusty Commune Dwellers leave the trees and converge on the place to put a stop to the profiteers :D.

Archived