Time to carry your passport?

Flashermac

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that the problem with a photocopy during APEC is that if the police want to hassle you they will hold you and check your passport number,

who knows how long that can take !

If I was there I would get a cloth passport holder for around your neck and bring your real passport

Hi;

I agree, a Thai drivers license is USUALLY good enough for a resident, enforced with a business card with local address. These seem to be unusual times from all I see and hear, and I have now started carying copies of my passport and household register along as secondary ID. A Tourist should carry their passport AND other ID with all legitimate stamps and visa's. A neck pouch of fanny pach should do, with copies in your hotel safe in case of a disaster.

The smart thing to do would be to avoid downtown Bangkok as much as humanly possible between the 17th and 26th of October, otherwise you are just asking for hassles and misunderstandings in this period of heightened, legitimate security concerns. Let the security types do their jobs without us in the way. Residents know where to avoid for the most part (whenever possible), and tourists have Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiangmai, etc. LOTS of choices that avoid the APEC areas.

There just isn't any need to go into an area that you KNOW will be a hassle when we all know it is coming!! Low profile time, guys, you can still enjoy yourselves just don't tweak the tigers tail when he has a toothache!!!

Just an opinion.

2knight1

P127: Here's the Girls Hauled Off at Bus Sations blurb. I found it in Nightlife in the APEC Holidays thread and is from Yetmae:

There will be no freelancers on the streets.

The police are checking girls IDs at bus stops at the moment! No ID or an up country ID and they are hauled off to the station. Saw this myself yesterday afternoon on Sukhumvit and asked my wife about it. She said it was on the TV and part of the general round up along with beggars and stray dogs!

Well I took your advice and drove to Pattaya last night. This distance was exactly 134km from Nana (soi 4) to South Pattaya.

However arriving there I got pretty disappointed. Hoping that the cover up policy was limited to Bkk and looking forward to see some nudity, I soon had to realize that also all Pattaya Agogos have strict order not to show at all!

Despite this disappointment I met a nice girl on Walking Street and we decided to go out together. To make a long and frustrating story short we spend more then 2 hours trying to go into a disco. My girl was 19 years and 10 months and all major clubs (e.g. Exzyte, Hollywood, Tony's) had strict ID checks and won't let her enter.

So it looks more and more to me that SOMEONE uses the upcoming APEC to perform general crackdown on entertainment. Why must girls cover up in a place more then 100km away from Bkk since August 11 (according to the manager in Electric Blue), because there will be an APEC meeting end of October??? I don't see any relation between these, especially not considering that the event was more then 3 months away!! Or why do normal clubs like the QBar have to close at midnight and have signs that dancing is not allowed. These things clearly show where Thailand is heading.

:cussing:

[Please leave me out of this - KS]

> Or why do normal clubs like the QBar have to close at midnight and have signs that dancing is not allowed.

I am not sure about the general "no dancing"-policy in discos for 3 month, but for me, I booked a longer stay in bkk. I do I expect some changes and I do also expect that many things will continue, may be, just a little bit more quite than before.

The smart thing to do would be to avoid downtown Bangkok as much as humanly possible between the 17th and 26th of October

Hi 2K1:

Just wondering why stay away until the 26th? apec ends on the 21st. Is it the rama v holiday?

It is sounding more and more like my timing is the worst ::

Hi MaiLuk;

The "official" holiday that the Thai Govt. is proclaiming for Govt. employees and others that they can influence extends through the Holiday on the 23rd, which is a Thursday. Count on the following weekend being included in the general madness.

Just speculating, but I think that the world media and associated NGO's that crave publicity will be around through that weekend, and will be on the prowl for something to feed on, like a story on the BBC here in Bkk last week on the horrors of prostitution in Angeles.

They had a hidden camera and took pictures in some gogo's of small breasted small hipped dancers that were "obviously" underage(according to the horrified announcer). Filmed some patrons, as well as some British guy in jail for taking an underaged girl out (arrested before anything happened, he claimed a set up). If there aren't attempts to do the same here during the Apec festivities, or shortly after, I would be shocked. The Thai authorities will know this as well, as will the bar owners and police.

Just a bad time in my opinion, better to leave Bkk for a few days during that period, many other places in Thailand to go, or if you are bound and determined to stay in Bkk stick to Thermae, Soi 7 beergarden, Grace, etc. - places that aren't "in your face".

2knight1

Also, here's a serious suggestion: If all you have is your photocopy, but the police aren't happy with that, say that your passport is at the such-and-such Embassy, getting a visa.

Archived