What is the British embassy doing?

steffi

( RF, this is not aimed at you but others in the thread )

Could the self righteous please climb down off their high horse.

It is very easy if you are OK to say HA HA its only your fault, How about some empathy?

If it was always illegal, why was it openly promoted in the press, in travel agents, guide books ( the Lonely Planet gave a couple of addresses of travel agents for Visa extentions ) and even recommended by immigration officers who said yes, yes, it is all legal and OK?

( and before anyone says it, yes, I think it was it was all about making money )

If you are coming to a different country do you really read up on all the laws and statutes? No, you dont, you rely to a large extent on those around you, the advice from guide books, locals etc. So if everyone is doing it, you think, well, it must be ok.

Think about other laws - wearing helmets on motor bikes for example, that is a law but so many people dont do it, you might think that it isnt a law.

Instead of saying its your own fault, how about practical suggestions instead?

For those worried try the thai visa board, there is really scary stuff on there. Reports of people being arrested on arrival because of a stamp from 2 years ago for example! But there is some advice as well.

Thai Visa

"If it was always illegal, why was it openly promoted in the press, in travel agents, guide books ( the Lonely Planet gave a couple of addresses of travel agents for Visa extentions ) and even recommended by immigration officers who said yes, yes, it is all legal and OK? "

I think it has been illegal for a very long time, and certainly, those who sent their passports off for a stamp knew they were doing something wrong. The reason I think we perceive this as a problem is that enforcement has been lax until it suddenly turned brutal a couple of weeks ago. Those who have been caught up in it all have my sympathies.

Yes, those who broke the law had something comig to them, but the treatmet I have been reading about the last couple of weeks is way over the top. Perhpas tourists planning their winter vacations should be warned about the kind of treatment they might receive here.

RickF ::

>>If it was always illegal, why was it openly promoted in the press, in travel agents, guide books<<<

I don't think that those ads etc. were illegal. It's not illegal to advertise visa assitance per sé, but any sensible traveller should know that obtaining a new entry stamp without making a new entry is illegal. If you get caught doing something illegal in any country you're in trouble, although the level of trouble may vary from country to country.

Don't over estimate what Embassies can do in case one gets arrested.

Archived