The Fake Diploma issue

Guest lazyphil

<<I've a danish friend also educated from Cambridge. He never mentions however it was a 3 week english class one summer in his youth! ::>>

I remember my family would host foreign language students at our house years ago, never a Dane but we had a Japanese girl who gave both my sisters beautiful kimono outfits which they still have. We had a mouthy Spaniard who gave us only grief :banghead:--The other day we went to see a mate of mine who has a young (20 ish) Japanese girl staying with them, cute too, dressed in a small blouse and short tartan dress :angel:--A real culture shock for her living with him, a giant tattooed truck driver and his very straight talking falang mrs and three rowdy sons!--we're just outside the boundary to host students as the schools like them to be in walking distance of the schools which is a bummer as its very easy money putting up a student in particular a demure Korean or Japanese girl ::

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having graduated doesn't necessarily mean that you have enough sense to come in out of the rain, or indeed that you have any idea of how to teach. My father told me that some of the worst teaching I would ever see would be at the university level. And he was right! I had one boob who used to read his own books to us, while we followed along turning the pages as he went. But he was a PhD and a full professor, so he must have been good.

It is beyond me that unis don't demand some sort of teacher training for their profs. Having a BA, MA, MPhil, PhD or whatever means you should have a good subject knowledge background. But it says nothing about your ability to function in front of a classroom.

Guest lazyphil

<<Having a BA, MA, MPhil, PhD or whatever means you should have a good subject knowledge background. But it says nothing about your ability to function in front of a classroom>>

You are being very self effacing and humble, its far better to have this educational background than none. I'm sure there are very good teachers without degrees etc but I honestly think having gone through hours/days/weeks of studying must show the ability to apply and commit yourself and ultimately this background will rub off on the students to follow suit. I think it takes a very special person to be a good teacher who can keep the attention of pupils--I can remember only two such teachers at my old school, the rest were muppets ::

Says Flashermac:

My father told me that some of the worst teaching I would ever see would be at the university level. And he was right! I had one boob who used to read his own books to us, while we followed along turning the pages as he went. But he was a PhD and a full professor, so he must have been good.

It is beyond me that unis don't demand some sort of teacher training for their profs...

Me too. Faced with heaps of student complaints regarding the pathetic quality of classroom instruction, a British university at which I worked briefly in the 1990s attempted to force all members of a certain Arts faculty to attend a month-long summer teaching methodology course. The professors threatened, as one, to resign. The idea was dropped. ::

Many if not most university 'academics' I've met see themselves as researchers first and foremost and regard actual contact teaching as a nuisance. Regular student assessment of teaching staff's classroom performance is, however, becoming the norm now in many countries (not ideal, for student opinion is fickle :clown: and may go against a teacher not because he/she is a poor educator but because of other irrelevant variables :(), so instructors have to watch their backs a bit more :o. But it still amazes me that no teacher-training at all is required for tertiary level educators whereas to teach kids from kindergarten to high school you have to have studied pedagogic methods, have practical training and possess certificated proof that you know what the fuck you're playing at. :doah:

Research (certainly in Arts and Humanities areas) tends to be a solitary (often antisocial, in fact), silent, introspective activity :shhh:, while communicating to a class of young learners is just the opposite requiring a wholly different set of human qualities and social communicative skills :). No surprise then that so many university Professors are timid, shoe-gazing, mumbling social retards who can't teach their way out of a paper bag. :: You just have to look at their hairstyles and clobber to know that academics don't get out much. ::

jack :drunk:

I've mentioned that I was once in a faculty of education. We were teaching students to TEACH and they graduated with a BEd. However, outside of the education faculties, almost none of the Thai uni lecturers have had any teacher's training. The important factor for hiring is whether they graduated from Chula, Thammasat or Mahidol. Also, they had better be from the proper social class. Thailand is not much different than the West ... and maybe more class conscious in many ways. (I've never met a lecturer from Isaan -- except upcountry.)

Guest lazyphil

<<You just have to look at their hairstyles and clobber to know that academics don't get out much>>

Was supping a pint :beer: or three :drunk: at the Anker Pub down Silver Street the in the summer and Stephen Hawkins zipped by in his little electric scooter ::--bloody terrible dress sense but was giving it large as everyone scattered when he comes racing along?he likes to get out?guess he?s gotta figure out the Universe and wont do that stuck in some dingy old office :D

Mr. Lazyphil,

Nice one. ;) There are indeed exceptions. This Professor, under whose gentle hands ( :o ) I studied Moral Philosophy and Bucket-Bong Ethics at Stoke Dooley 'University' (a. k. a. The Lamb and Flag, off Burslem Ring Road :drunk:), really knew his stuff and 'gets about a bit', regardless of his barnet and threads. (Not a hardcore link. ::)

jack :beer:

Surprising honesty in an advert on ajarn.com. 'nuff said.

:beer:

--------------------------------------------

Job: full time - young learners

School: Nava Chiang Mai

Tel: N/A

CEmail: navachiangmai@yahoo.com

Info: Okay. Due to unreliable teachers leaving us in the lurch somewhat(they got better deals elsewhere) ,we desperately need two new teachers to fill positions for our outside primary school contracts. Before I give you the all important details about the job, I need to get a few things straight. Firstly, the positions are at schools where the classes are large. One of the positions you will be dealing with around 25 semi-catholic rich fat kids, the other school has nearer 40 thin middle class Buddhist kids per class. Therefore, if you are not used to teaching this type of class then it might not be the job for you. For those who know what they are doing it's a breeze. Although we do have a short training program for people who are enthusiastic but dont have the experience. We have all the gear, flashcards and songs and activities and suchforth. For those used to teaching a hanful of kids in a small air con room these classes can be quite daunting. Right then, with that out of the way I will get down to some details. We need you to work from the 1st November until at least march. And if all is ship shape and Bristol fashion and you are happy then you will be offered a new contract for next year. Guaranteed. Our contracts include free medical insurance, work visa, end of year bonus, an extrememly friendly and informal atmosphere, a bloody nice boss by the name of khun lek, and a salary of 26,000 baht for 24 hours teaching a week. Since there is only around 4 months left until the end of the school year we cant offer you all these things. But we can offer you 28,000 per month and a reduced bonus if you stay with us until march. It would be a good way to get your foot in the Chiang Mai door actually. It's all right up here. Pleeeeze, only people who are willing to stay and work until march apply. Officially you should have a degree and a Tefl, but to be honest we tend to overlook these requirements. If you have half a brain then that is enough. You can write to me and I will get back to you ASAP.

This type of discussion doesn't just apply to the "bottom feeders" trying to falsely equate their travels through the "school of hard knocks" as being worth a real degree.

Check out:

CFO of Billion Dollar Company Fakes Resume

Bausch & Lomb CEO Fakes Educational Credentials

NASDAQ Company CEO Fakes Educational Credentials

US Olympic Chief Resigns Over False Resume

Lucent Exec With False Credentials

Notre Dame College Football Coach Fired Over Fake Resume

For a little different perspective:

Case Study - No College Degree

My own personal perspective on this (as an American military veteran) relates more to people falsifying military credentials - "I was a POW", " I earned a Medal of Honor", "I served in the Special Forces / Rangers / SEALs / etc.", "I graduated from ????". I tend to get disgusted over the liars - because to me it so insulting that some scumbag liar is claiming the credit that others died and bled for.

So - the bottom line for me on the "Fake Degree" issue is - this is not a question about whether a "hard knocks" degree is as good or better than a sheepskin from a real college - this is about the question: Are you a dishonest person who will start your relationship with a new employer by lying to that employers face. If so, where do you draw the line on dishonesty - educational credentials? Criminal record? Falsifying expenses? Stealing employer property?

To me - having weak formal educational credentials is a minor issue- being a corrupt lying dirtbag is another.

Stone Soup

Archived