DVD codec decoder for samsung dvd / win xp

chilli13

just reinstalled win xp as had some problem :o, but now dvd's won't play anymore so I guess I need to get a dvd codec decoder for my samsung dvd/cdrw combo drive ::

samsung web only provided firmware upgrade & various web's provide dvd codec for sale :banghead:

any idea where to get what I need - preferably for free

:o

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried different player software yet? I find often that DVDs will play only on certain programs. Personally I like Cyberlink Power DVD 5, but there are plenty of alternatives. You used to be able to buy a bunch of them on a CD from panthip :banghead: you may have to hunt around for software now.

Hi!

To my knowledge the codecs are used by the player software and not by the drive itself. Someone else suggested that you try different players. That seems to be a good idea to me. Some players like RealOne will try to download the correct codec if it is not installed.

regards

ALHOLK

This sounds to me more likely a driver problem than a codec issue. You should have received a CD with a suitable driver together with your DVD drive, but I would think you could get the latest from Samsung's site. Do not believe anything XP tells you about whether you have the right drivers or not.

I may indeed be the correct driver I need, but as the pc came preinstalled with all that there's no seperate cd for that. the solution I don't wanna do is to restore the pc back to that sales state & xp home. will get tired of backing up HD files & install all programs over again :banghead:

might still be easiest solution unless I just buy another seperate dvd for the tv

:ono

unfortunately neither samsung web nor xp provided me with any dvd driver so the search is not yet over :drunk:

I had a similar problem, well kind of. I formatted my hardrive NTFS (it came with FAT) and my Matshita DVD combo drive no longer played DVDs. I checked the computer manufacturer's (Sony) support site and there was a patch to fix this problem. Just a thought.

Archived