DVD codec decoder for samsung dvd / win xp

chilli13

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you set the comp up did you install the IDE drivers on the mainboard CD ? Often with VIA chipsets they'll overwrite your generic windows drivers (which work perfectly well) and prevent your CD drives working ... just a thought.

Try an All Region DVD to see if that works.

Says ib13:

A lot of suggestions & I appreciate it, but none so far have worked
:banghead:

Was thinking maybe it could be something about region settings, which I believe it's not set to any at all while my working laptop has region 2 & have always worked?
:dunno:

That is because some of the advices you have received are quite confusing. As you and others have suggested what you really need is an MPEG-2 codec. As far as I know there does not exist any free ones. You have to either buy or pirate a commercial codec. PowerDVD comes with a good and popular codec. If all you want to do is look at DVDs it is a good choice. Elecard is compatible with a wider range of multimedia software if you need that.

Paillote

Says Paillote:

Says ib13:

A lot of suggestions & I appreciate it, but none so far have worked
:banghead:

Was thinking maybe it could be something about region settings, which I believe it's not set to any at all while my working laptop has region 2 & have always worked?
:dunno:

That is because some of the advices you have received are quite confusing. As you and others have suggested what you really need is an MPEG-2 codec. As far as I know there does not exist any free ones. You have to either buy or pirate a commercial codec. PowerDVD comes with a good and popular codec. If all you want to do is look at DVDs it is a good choice. Elecard is compatible with a wider range of multimedia software if you need that.

Paillote

If so, try this link, with free ones.............Windows codex at bottom of the page.

MPEG-2 Codex

Just to help clarify your position: does your drive successfully play CDs but barf on DVDs ... or does it refuse to play either. If CDs are OK but not DVDs, it is definitely not a codec issue. Also, if you can copy files from a CD/DVD to your hard drive and they play OK from there, this eliminates the codec as your issue. If, however, you cannot play the files from the hard drive, then you definitely need a codec update.

If the issue is not the codec (I actually doubt it is) then there are two other possible issues. First, the drive's firmware may need to be updated. However, this is unlikely to be the case as you could use the drive prior to the reinstall. The other (most likely) cause is that the drivers you are using are wrong. Check the system restore CD that comes with your PC to ensure there is not an option to pickup individual drivers.

If you want me to help further, please post exact model information for your DVD drive (what it says in device manager and, if convenient, what is marked on the drive itself). Also, list the drivers (also reported by device manager) currently being used.

I did it before (had problems with my built-in dvd player). Simply copy the files into one directory and open the info-files with your favourite dvd-player-sw (I forgot which one, may be try some). I use WinDVD 4. Afair for some player sw opening a direction is an option too.

I have no idea about protection etc. I have always played the ones bought in los.

Archived