I am thinking of moving to LOS also

Make the move Dude. I came to LOS in 97 and got into the bar trip for about 2 years. I started meeting a lot of nice Thai people through my contacts in the Hotel bis and med bis> I traveled around looking at different bis in los> I met a swayma thai p pouying in kho samoi, she had her mba and worked for a major thai corp (it only took 5 years to find her)

she's from the south, we got married.

Found more ways to make $ in thailand, than you could ever find in Bush country. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience. you can form a Thai corp and own things in the corp name, you can load $ 0n trust deeds, have leases. you can own condo's, land (thai corp), the sky is the limit in Thailand. After you get your yaya's get a good attorney and get with it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dave

Many things you can do presently to help your move with your income. First would be to move into a present income producing investment device. Tough it out immediately with what time you have left on your work. Matter fact now would be a great time to approach your employer about providing

your present work from home (in Thailand of course at a good discount).

Put $30G aside to live on for first 6 months to year (use ATM is best keep your present bank or money market account). Reinvest your dividens for as long as you can (which will make up for the taxes owed the follow on year). The next year when you may not have no income you could option to pay the taxes and penalties on half of your 401K move the 50G to your present income investments and have I would say around a 6% after tax amount without touching your original investment. You should be aware of your situation after the first year if you still decide you want to stay or go back home. At least this would give you some type of view of how fit your investments and what your living requirements would be.

Better yet at your age minmum amount to be able to live and move internationaly to any place when you felt like it would be to have 800G savings with a budget of around $3,700 a month after tax money to live on. Mainly forget about the offshore accounts they are still taxable to a U.S. citizen and a real pain to try to avoid it plus they have very high cost fees.

Well if you are serious about it you will start living cheap ASAP and see if you can finance the first year with what time you have left at work otherwise put it in the back of your mind for later.

Found more ways to make $ in thailand, than you could ever find in Bush country
Bush country as in the US? What you been smokin? I'd love to see a partial list of of these ways to make money legally??

The guy is living on the edge most likely and one small move to piss someone off he will be gone with his investments.

Then again there is a few success stories in disneyland. Cash is king everything else is wishful thinking.

IMO, you have plenty to retire on. But being 39, you must know absolutely what this is you want to do there. I don't mean a precise idea of profession, but what you want to with your life, 39 is awfully young to become another vegetable ex or sexpat teaching english. From what you say, i think you have never lived there, just vacation. Take a jump, no bridges burnt, you have a 6 months window coming up, but your quote about the "money if you can take it" tells me you'd rather be home still. Again, IMO.....

IMO: Don't throw away your life and become an English teacher in a third world country, living from USD 750 per month (if you are very lucky, experienced and certified, USD 1000). If you go out in specific bars, filled with ladies, you will sometimes see some guys in the 30 - 35 years bracket, wearing third class shirts and ties (compared to western standards), usually good looking, drinking beer with ice and not able to buy a second one. Soon you will see them leaving empty-handed and drinking beer on the street. It is hard, not to smell the English teacher. P4P may be out of reach.

Your savings will most probably not allow you to life from it till the end of a fulfilled sexpat career. Have you ever considered inflation or money being lost due to unforeseen incidents? I have heard about some people losing everything to a Thai girl too.

My advise: Come here for a good time (6 month) and plan your career. You are in the best years of your life!!

As said before, this is my very humble opinion. Others may vary.

Sounds like the world is your oyster. With your skill set I am sure you could find some kind of contract work, or work as a consultat. I think you could easily work remotely based in Thailand, or anywhere else you could connect you laptop. Of course you would make less money, but way more than teaching english. I do tend to agree that you might want to do a test run of 6 months to a year. At that point you will most likely be totaly fed up with the day to day Thai lifestyle, or totaly entralled by it. I think your resources would enable you to build a pretty nice lifestyle in LOS. But I think that spending them down is not the only option. In terms of re-integating back into the US job market, I agree that in your field 6 months off would put you behind the curve. But the true currency of life is time. We all get the same basic account. One lifetime! How we spend those funds is what really matters. To be able to spend your absolute prime years in you own way, rather than trading them for yet more money or objects is probably the biggest gift you could ever recieve. Time is perishable. You can either devour it or let it sit on the shelf and rot. Remember you can always get a crummy job, you have been lucky enought to have had a good job, but those days are gone forever. Spend your time wisely, and you will be a happy man.

Says pattaya127:

Your avatar's face seems to be telling that story. He still gets some pussy, though.....
:grinyes:

Yep,

you got it :up::) That's me, being in los and having a pussy. I like this avatar.

Archived