I am thinking of moving to LOS also

BOUGHT 6 LOTS KOH SAMUI, 5 YEARS AGO ON THE BEACH BIG BUDDHA, BOPHUT, SOLD 4 THIS SUMMER, PRICES FOR BEACH FRONT, prices have been going up 50% / per year. bought alot los palm goof i mean golf course phuket 2000 its gone up. my brotherin law loans $ on late model car and trucks (we are partners) we keep the veh for 6 months as sec.

working on a 48 lot subdivision in the south, near the gulf.

there is no end to the oppertunities is this great county. look at the price of labor; labor $4, electrican $8, tractor driver $40, this is all on a daily basis. Only way you can go wrong here, is by dealiing with mai de people.

There is a lot of big $ in thailand, all you got to do is follow it.

Good luck to you, and switch you brand it may work. also helps if your a lawyer and know thai lawyers ho speak enghish, my spelling is horrible thank Buddha for secretaries.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have worked as a software engineer and a hardware engineer. I worked in R&D and developed software, firmware and hardware. When the axe falls, and it always does, the hard part is keeping active mentally. Teaching English will not cut the ice. Look seriously at what you can do so as to keep mentally active.

DM,

whatever you decide whether permanent or a break from your career/new career, stay within your budget no matter what and maintain contacts back home (equals a contingency plan) .

You can see everyone has an opinion on this usually reflecting what works for them or knows what doesn't work.

There are many ways to bring about change in your life. You really know best so it is silly to say what will work for you. I don't think there is any exact formula to do it.

Think about writing down 10 questions or so about who you are and what you want, and from these answers helps you with your decision.

With the exception of losing or spending more money than you can afford (usually due to ladies, alcohol consumption, and lack of discipline), successful people will be successful where ever they are. People who had problems at home usually start having problems here as well.

Just approach it from the standpoint of going after somerthing here in LOS instead of running away from something as your main reason of living and working iin Thailand.

Are you coming here (short or long) with a lot of trepidation or as an adventure?

This would be my first question of my questionaire in helping you decide if now is the time to check things out in LOS.

Again, only you know best but you need to go through a thorough self-assessment process to find out.....

P.S. don't count your ira monies when figuring finances, but 250k if liquid and representing net assets is probably significantly more than many ex-pats (not working a real job/career in LOS) currently living here have; retirement income is another question and matter....

Cardinalblue

"DON"T PISS PEOPLE OFF", Be generous with everyone you deal with, deal only with people that have a good rep., Marry a Girl over 30 (with an mba from major university) who comes from an old influencial family, help the family all you can. Deal only with professional people, have Honest Thai's as the front people (better that no one knows you are a farang). Use security insterments in all transaction (lawyer checks everything). DON"T EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE YOUR PROFITS OUTA THAILAND. Anything you own with your Thai wife or partners will become their's in any legal battles, you have to proctect your self at all time, its the same in america. LEARN TO TALK THAI. You can own everything, but the secret is not having your name on anything. bis is bis in every country in the world and there is a million ways to get screwed. GOOD LUCK DAVE,

Daveman,

Don't waste your time listening to all these party poopers and moaning minnies. :nono: Look on the bright side, mate. ;) You might get to LOS and find you're run over by a bus and killed outright during your first week in BKK. :o If that's the case, $400,000 will be more than enough for your "retire-at-39 fund" and you'll no doubt have managed a few beers :beer: and P4P shags :hubba: into the bargain without having to spend a single day teaching English in a cheap shirt and tie! :applause:

Go for it! :up:

jack ::

>>>>>>was recently calculating whether $700,000 was enough for a 50 year old guy to live on right now, until death, and it's not nearly enough (assuming about $2000 monthly living expenses).<<<<

Hhahahhah.

You can't be serious.

You would have to try pretty hard to spend 80,000 a month in LOS. OK...I spend that in 2 weeks as a sex tourist. But living there? Common?

3/4 of a million US dollars is more than enough to live there, off of earnings.

HT

Yes would agree with that. I usually work off a base of 5% interest ( a bit optimistic perhaps). With $700,000 that 35,000/year and $3000/month, which is about 120,000 baht/month. So agreed unless you are accustomed to livinglike a king that is plenty of money to enjoy your life in LOS.

[color:"red"]With the exception of losing or spending more money than you can afford (usually due to ladies, alcohol consumption, and lack of discipline), successful people will be successful where ever they are. People who had problems at home usually start having problems here as well.

[/color]

Agree wholeheartedly. I find that problems follow ones everywhere, it is just a matter of how ones deal with problems.

Cheers! ::

Archived