Thais scrabble to the top

adikgede

A long long time ago someone on this forum said that non-native English speakers were not in a position to criticize. Be that as it may A Thai national has just won the 7th annual international scrabble championships. The runner up was also Thai. Apparently these two aren't exactly English literate but the novelty is worth a round of applause. Hip Pip Hoolai.

Read about it here

At the school I used to work at we had a scrabble competition. I never knew it was so popular and after looking at the boards, most of the teachers could only recognize 40% of the words. All players will Thai parents or students.

Thais have a great nack for memorizing things. Since most of these students have never had a thai teacher and were not in the thai education system it was not the rote learning

I was astounded to hear this, the first time a non-native English speaker has won the championship. It's estimated that these two finalists have memorized 90% of the 140,000 words in the Scrabble dictionary (nearly twice as many entries as a standard collegiate). Reminded me of non-Arabic speaking Islamic devotees memorizing the Qur'an. I just wonder if Panupol or Pakorn would be able to direct me to the bus station.

Archived