Unlucky Buddha statues

Lusty

I intend to add to my Buddha collection next trip and was just going to browse around the markets.

Girlfriend say "not like,Buddha from market unlucky,must buy from temple" ::

Is this true?I expect the ones in the temples cost 5 times as much :(.If this is the case I'd rather buy the cheap ones from the market rather than contribute to the Dali Lamars :bow:beer fund.Thanx

Says pattaya127:

Buy one where you wish, and tell the GF you got it at a temple. Uh, Dali lamars, qu'est ce que c'est ::?

lamars ........... dem cud chewing things that people buy cause they're cute ..... related to camels I think

the 'dali' ones are the slow ones that always dilli dali

Hope that helps :grinyes:

Hi,

Buy them anywhere you want. There is no such thing as unlucky because they are not from temples.

What your GF is trying to say, IMO, that the statues from temples are made from the monks who are supposed to lead purer lives than the regular men who make the statues for a living.

The monks normally bless the statues also and it is believed that receiving blessings from good monks make the statues bring safety and luck.

I don't have any statues and if they are given to me, I do not accept them.

Jasmine

Hello,

For me a cross, Buddha status are items to remind ones of good teachings, or remind a person to do good things, moral-wise, that is all. I was brought up by going to a Christian church and temples both and I find good teachings are enough, it is in the mind, not what ones have hanging on the necks.

My family, especially, my father side, has old statues of the age about 200-or older years old, which can fetch millions of Baht in the market, neither my brother nor I ever use them for both of us believe in conducting ourselves the best we can and whatever comes, we will deal with them. My niece who is 14 years old wears one becuase she feels safety wearing one.

My father wore them once in a while because he thought being a policeman, they might have helped in dangerous situations but he stopped becuase his superiors wanted to buy them (old, valuable Buddha statues) and turning the offers down caused conflict in working relationship.

It does not mean that I don't respect them, it is just that I don't feel that they are needed phsychologically, and I don't mind anyone wearing them either. Each for his/her own.

Jasmine

There is no Buddhist church. there are basically 2 branches that sprang up from the B.'s teachings (see in "thai woman and religion" thread), and the Mahayana branch allows much more different interpretations or practices, that usually are tied to the countries and culture where Buddhism took hold.

So, the Dalai lama is the top figure in tibetan Buddhism, though I am sure Flyw can help me in talking about tibetan sects, maybe of lesser strentgh at this point, who are not followers of the Dalai lama. Most of the Buddhist sects in Tibet are considered Vajranaya (denomination according to the sutras or texts its adherents favor, means thunderbolt or diamond) or also tantric (practices), all offsprings from the Mahayana branch. Theravada is mainly practiced in mainland SEA and Sri Lanka.

Archived