Overstay in Thailand: Be Careful who you Trust

my info may be outdated.....so I will acceed to your more current knowledge :bow:

but I would still be very wary of this site .......... too many stories that just don't add up.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fly,

>>>>>>so often westerners get themselves here in hopeless situations out of ignorance and naivety, put themselves in positions to be blackmailed into doing something like that.

it's a very murky world here, so be careful.

i cannot repeat often enough: do not underestimate the abilities of the thai police - there is very little they do not know of what is going on here.<<<<<

As never having lived there, I would have thought different, as most outside people, I suspect. Given LOS's seemingly indifference to laws that they don't enforce (read: prostitution world), the average 'Joe' would think them underpaid, lazy, slackers, only interested in fining a farang for extra pocket money, for carelessly throwing a cigarette butt, or riding without a helmet.

I guess it's that impression, that makes people let their guard down, and make stupid decisions. I saw on CNN the tactical equipment, and training, the Thai police had used for APEC. Holy shit!!!! Made me realize these guys are on it. And that the level of expertise of these guys, is a force to be reckoned with. Sure woke me up! Na glua!

HT

>>>Given LOS's seemingly indifference to laws that they don't enforce (read: prostitution world), the average 'Joe' would think them underpaid, lazy, slackers, only interested in fining a farang for extra pocket money, for carelessly throwing a cigarette butt, or riding without a helmet.<<<

these are just the cops you see, the ones in uniform. the ones you don't see are the ones you should fear.

it also is more like this: thailand simply has neither the money nor the manpower to fight the whole multitude of problems at the same time, so that is why you see those crackdowns lasting for some time, where one crime is fought with enormous efforts for a few months very publically.

traditionally their intelligence gathering is very good, especially the one with using informers etc. there is a huge army of informers and others who work together with the policestations and all other sort of agencies here, working in all sorts of capacities, all part of a huge complex moneytrail.

being corrupt, and being very good at their job does not necessarily exclude each other here...

Says dddave:

And never forget that every hotel clerk in Thailand is on a first name basis with the local constabulary. They are mandated to check your passport entry slip when you check in, and to report any overstays they notice.

dj

very true.

still, there are many cheaper places where the details might be reported but not acted upon by the constabulary. and others where a bit of money will stop too thorough checks (which doesn't mean that the authorities are not aware of what is going on).

The problem with the Thai police is also that they are lazy. They will usually not come out unless they can make some money, or get a direct order by a superior.

But once aroused they are "top". Especially units like Crime Suppression, and small special units. Once you are on their "we want YOU" list, you better leave the country. Because they WILL find you. These units receive European and American funding and training. And like I said they ARE lazy, but once unleashed ......... they are very effective and you will not see them coming. Metropolitan police is not really that effective.

>>>Once you are on their "we want YOU" list, you better leave the country.<<<

if one still can... ;)

the only way to evade is by hiding upcountry (if you have a supportive family there) - same what thais are doing. it is not easy to catch someone if in hiding in a village area hostile to outside police forces. and then hoping that after a few months or years things might blow over, and it is safe enough to get a fake passport and leave quietly.

but i guess that this would work for very few foreigners - the ones who were able to built up such a support network are mostly able to stay out of the kind of trouble which puts one on the we want you list.

>>>The problem with the Thai police is also that they are lazy<<<

i am not so sure about that laziness, esp. in comparism to other police forces. i have sure seen some very lazy ones, but i have seen also ones who in their off duty time were out looking to arrest drugdealers or gathering intelligence.

i believe it is a lot more complicated than that - there are at whatever given time certain high priority crimes which are ruthlessly supressed, while others are neglected.

but you are definately right about the special units and crime supression - they are awesome, and enjoy a lot more ... freedom in their methods ... than most of their western counterparts.

Well, at least they tell you:

if you are in a long overstay situation, go to the airport with a ticket out of the country, and the fine of 20,000 baht, which is the maxiumum overstay charge.

Good information to know

Archived