Overstay in Thailand: Be Careful who you Trust

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says flyonzewall:

one should never forget that also foreigners work at police informers here, some forced into that position - others not.

Certainly true FlyW .... but usually in Pattaya IME.

This particular report is very disturbing to me personally as I am VERY familiar with this bar and have know most of the regulars for many years. No doubt, I know the supposed 'informer'. I find it difficult to believe ........... but then all things are possible.

I have emailed some friends in CM to see if there is any truth to this story. Anything that comes from Thaivisa IMO has be taken with a healthy amount of scepticism. They seem, to me, to promote their services through fear mongering and tales that in the least are distorted and in other cases, downright fabrications. All in an effort to generate 'business' for the principals, who just happen to be 'Immigration' lawyers and consultants, capable of fixing 'anything'.

Any story that does not contain real names and is reported by anonymous sources is to be highly suspect IMO.

Says LaoHuLi:

Says flyonzewall:

one should never forget that also foreigners work at police informers here, some forced into that position - others not.

Certainly true FlyW .... but usually in Pattaya IME.

Simply to say that I did meet such an informer in BKK....... and he was convinced he was doing the right thing.

I did scrap him from my list of people I know.

Cheers !

Did anyone take a look at the pic? Blow it up and it looks like women.

The more I read on that forum the more suspect I become.

Though, I finally met someone for the first time who says he actually knows someone first hand in the pokey for a visa stamp. Surprised it took me this long though (a couple of weeks).

<<burp>>

Says gummigut:

Did anyone take a look at the pic? Blow it up and it looks like women.

The more I read on that forum the more suspect I become.

Though, I finally met someone for the first time who says he actually knows someone first hand in the pokey for a visa stamp. Surprised it took me this long though (a couple of weeks).

<<burp>>

Gummi

I am absolutely sure that there are lots in jail for visa violations. But this particular story, with no real names, and from the location mentioned, has all my red flags up. And 4 months in MaeRim jail before being sent to IDC ......... again...not saying impossible....just sounds odd.

Especially if this was for overstay...and not a fake stamp.

Says BelgianBoy:

Simply to say that I did meet such an informer in BKK....... and he was convinced he was doing the right thing.

I did scrap him from my list of people I know.

When somebody is reporting people to the police because of overstay, then I definitely second your opinion. When people are helping the police to track down drug-traffickers (No, I am not talking about the occasional pot smokers), child-molesters, human-traffickers et.al., then this is another story. It can be part of a convincement.

>>>Simply to say that I did meet such an informer in BKK....... and he was convinced he was doing the right thing.

I did scrap him from my list of people I know.<<<

i did not know anyone who did that out of his own choice (which i think is despicable), but i knew a few who were forced to do that. usual scenario is that some junky is caught and given the choice - prison, pay the police, or help the cops to set others up. it takes a very strong man who will take the choice of going to prison for a decade or so here.

i was once asked to write reports for some intelligence unit of the police here, but i declined. but that was rather easy for me as i am not in a position where i can be blackmailed (and no attempt was made also).

so often westerners get themselves here in hopeless situations out of ignorance and naivety, put themselves in positions to be blackmailed into doing something like that.

it's a very murky world here, so be careful.

i cannot repeat often enough: do not underestimate the abilities of the thai police - there is very little they do not know of what is going on here.

They seem, to me, to promote their services through fear mongering and tales that in the least are distorted and in other cases, downright fabrications. All in an effort to generate 'business' for the principals, who just happen to be 'Immigration' lawyers and consultants, capable of fixing 'anything'.

Although I agree that some pieces are over the top was not aware the principals were immigration lawyers/consultants. I am aware this site used to be owned (several years ago) by such a service but under current rebirth have not seen any such advise and believed they were making money by selling advertising; much as is done on this site. As I post to both boards trying to help people would like to know what you seem to know.

Archived