Laptop DVD loses sound

shotover

I recently bought a Toshiba laptop computer in the USA and brought it with me to Thailand. I have watched a few movies bought in Thailand ("all-zones") successfully, until yesterday. Suddenly, I cannot produce any sound when playing a DVD, or even when the machine boots up.

I checked the audio volume settings, and everything looked ok. Could this have resulted from playing the DVDs I bought in Thailand.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You could try re-installing your sound card drivers - providing you have the driver CD that came with the computer. Right click 'my computer' > properties > hardware > device manager. Then select the audio device and click update driver. It should scan the CD (depends on your OS) and re-load the driver.

Unlikely to be the DVDs that caused the sound failure.

I agree about trying to reinstall the audio driver. This might solve the problem, although on my IBM laptop running XP, the audio driver is supplied by the operating system and is not available as a separate driver file. Anyway, by clicking on update driver, you may be able to force the OS to reinstall the driver.

If the above does not apply to you, you could probably download the driver from the Toshiba support site so it is not necessary to have it on a CD.

You might also want to take a look at the sound and audio hardware in "Device Manager." Click control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager button, then scroll down to sound, video, and game controllers, and see if there is a yellow icon next to anything which would indicate a problem. You can also right click on specific devices and click properties and see if there are any clues to the problem in there.

Also look at sound related items in Control Panel and see if there are any settings available in them that might be cutting off the sound.

Good luck.

While the computer gurus search their memory banks, let me speak from experience:

... I fell for an adult 'DVD' on Sukhumvit (yes, sometimes I still like to act like a tourist!)

... well, when I got home, man was I disappointed!

... talk about a regurgitated piece of degenerating, putrified piece of crap!

... all I saw was three or four stills of what must have been the forgotten, over-looked & definitely 'should have retired ' (eons ago) hard core, heavily sedated (or whatever 'pleased them'), over-the hill hookers/or wanna be's!

... not that anyone would ever actually pay them for anything, other than a disappearance act!

It's buyer beware out there. My take: make your own movies & you'll know what's in store ... not that you'll necessarily be pleased with the end result! :grinyes:

Archived