USB Splitter

tonychang

I have 2 computers in different rooms and want to run them from the same modem but NOT networked(too much aggro and money).The modem has a USB connection to my computers.

Is there suck a thing as a splitter so I can have them both wired up then access the net on each one seperatly without moving the modem or is there any other way to do this without buying all that expensive networking gear everyone I phone about it tries to sell me.

If this is the case where can I get a 8 metre cable in the UK?

the longest I've seen sofar is 5M.

You go from the modem to a router, which has multi outputs for the computers. Each computer will need a network card. Not expensive, unless you go wireless. Just did mine last week. 2 cards $15 each and the router was about $35. I already had cables, but they are not too much (less than $10).

Set up depends upon what OS system you use, but not too painful when I did it.

You can not just use a USB hub.

(Prices US dollars).

A little more info if you please.

it an external modem, we presume?

dial-up or ADSL?

what OS are you using ?

it should be simple ........ read the networking pages in windows help.

You have Radio Shack where you are ? :grinyes:

sure you'll get the correct answers here. :beer:

If you want to keep it simple just buy a long phone cord and cart your modem to whichever computer you need. Sounds like a hassle, but using USB when you should have an ad-hoc network sounds like a hassle to me. You aren't going to find a 8M USB cable. 5M meters is about as far as you get before you need a repeater. So you you are talking about an expensive USB cable. Network cards and network cable is plentiful and cheap. Keep your eyes open and you could get it for free. If you didn't need it yesterday I say do some homework and shop araound for a wireless card. The stores are now selling a faster card 802.11g so 802.11b cards are being put on sale for cheap, I have even seen them freee after rebates.

I strongly suggest you do set up a network. The alternative that you are suggesting will be an ongoing nuissance as opposed to the initial nuissance of setting up a network. Furthermore with some effort you can find the network equipment for free or for less than the cost of your expensive USB cable. Maybe one or both of your computer already has an ethernet port, my guess is that the windows xp computer does. in that case you would just be buying cable which is cheap.

I already have two seperate phone sockets in each room so will probably stick to moving the modem all the time but suppose I could get another modem in the other room as I saw one (an ADSL USB, I think thats the sort I've already got) on ebuyer.com for 25 quid and the company that supplies mine free with the connection want 90 quid for another one of theirs(Alcatel Speedtouch).

Cheers geezahz

Archived