how long i can get citizen in sweden

Dear

i am thai girl and be in sweden now with my bf i want to know that if we marry ,, how long i can get citizenship here and i also have the land in Thailand ,, i will loose the land .. and when i marry him , my land in Thailand will half with him or not..

Regards..

Thaigirl

Thaigirl,

The following is my understanding of the legal situation.

1) If you marry and are successful with getting a residential permit you can be a Swedish citizen within 5 years (at least it used to be like this, I cannot guarantee it still is...)

2) You will not lose your land in Thailand. It used to be the case that when a Thai women married a foreigner she could not purchase, inherit land etc. That is no longer! However, many officials in Thailand may not be aware of the amended law.

3) In a Swedish marriage you will have to share everything 50 % with your husband by default. However, there are several exceptions. When it comes to your real estate (land) in Thailand you would be wise to write a contract with your husband that it will not be part of your marriage. This sort of contract is known in Sweden as "aktenskapsforord". Some special requirements apply for this sort of legal arrangement. You should therefor contact a Swedish lawyer (at a law firm or a Swedish bank) to get it done properly.

Again, I advise you to look at the Swedish Migration Board for further information about citizenship etc. Don't be afraid to call them for specific questions. They will most likely help you out.

www.migrationsverket.se/english.html

Cheers!

thank u very much that u very kind of me,, i would like to ask u more about that.

1 if he have a lot of loan money on the bank or a lot of dept i will share with him 50% when we marry right ?

2 i can not buy the land under my name anymore in Thailand ??

3.. wii i loose my id in Thailand ?

4 ,, i have business visa now and prolong to 3 mouth , where we marry ,, and where we request for resident ,, in sweden or in Thailand..

Thank a lot..

1. Yes, debts will be part of the marriage as well...

2. You can buy land in Thailand in your name even though you're married to a foreigner (your husband may have to sign some special agreement in Thailand though...I don't know the specifics about this -- search on this board, it has been discussed before)

3. I don't think you'll lose your ID. However, it may not be possible to have dual citizenship/passports by Thai law (again search the archives of this board -- it has been discussed in length). You could of course just omit to notify Thai authorities that you're married abroad (takes care of the land issue as well although it should not be a hindrance)

4. For a Swedish residents permit you'll of course have to apply in Sweden. Marriage can be done anywhere you like, but it has to be registered with Swedish authorities. You should however be very careful with your visa status and thoroughly check with the authoroties if it's possible to change your business visa into something else in case you marry in Sweden. I have no insight into the details of Swedish immigration law myself and subsequently I cannot help you...

Archived