best exchange rate US$ cash or Travelers checks ?

OCgringo

I guess this is a 2 part question

which gets a better exhange rare ? US$ cash or American Express travelers checks ?

I can get American Express travelers check free

the second part is how much of a hassle is it to change American Express travelers check? bank only ?

I know that a ATM might be best, but I really do not want to use my Credit card

thanks for your advise

Go with the travelers checks if you don't want to use ATMs. Since I don't know where you are going, I can't say how easy it will be to cash them. But if a city of any size, it will be very very easy to cash them. Any exchange booth will do, many open at night and 7 days a week, or at a bank. You will not need to hunt for them at all in BKK or Chaing Mai etc.

Some small towns you will need to go to a bank.

Better rate than cash, but if you do use cash, use big bills, they get a better rate than small bills.

[color:"blue"]Better rate than cash, but if you do use cash, use big bills, they get a better rate than small bills. [/color]

Just a small appendum .......... US 100s.......... new series, with big ben :grinyes: No tears or rips ........... some of the old series are not accepted.......too many counterfeits about.

Only hassle with TCs is you must show your passport to cash them

Excellent point! I gave 16 of the old series to GF last year, and she stopped to deposit them on the way to the airport. She was in the bank forever. What they ended up doing is giving her color copies of the bills and did credit her account. Warned her that they would seek compensation if they were fake. No problem tho, as I had gotten them new from my bank. All consecutive #s. That may not have helped the situation.

If it would have been a traveler, SOL! (shit outtta luck, not star of light!)

I've had problems with the old 100's all the way back to '98! Probably goes without saying, but if your bank charges for TC's (eg: 2.5%), that would cancel out any benefit and then some. Some banks do issue them for free.

I believe the ATM holds all the advantages: best exchange rate, open 24/7, they exist on every street corner, and you don't need to manage a big bankroll. You can pull out about 20000 baht a day which is a decent sum.

You are right about ATMs of course. OP had ruled that out for whatever reason.

I still carry about 1500 in travelers checks in case satelites go down or lord knows what happens to freak out ATMs. Rarely use them, but came in very useful in Pai when our clutch burned out and the only atm in town was broken. I NEVER want to be broke on holiday!

I stoped carrying $100 bills when they became a hassle to exchange. I only bring $50 bills and have never had a problem.

Whenever I travel to LOS I bring US$1000 in cash which I use only in backup situations. Travelers checks are too inconvenient to use. ATM's are the way to go. No fuss and no muss except when they run out of money :banghead:

Archived