Village maps

camerashy

Thank you guys for all your assistance. I followed all the links suggested, and finally hit pay dirt with the link provided by buddy_guy. I was looking for the exact location of a village called Chumni. All I knew was that it was located somewhere between Buriram and Nong Rong - now I know exactly where! Its not on the main road between the towns as I suspected. I am planning on paying a surprise visit to my GF there shortly, so did not want to be going there blindly. By the way, does anyone here know anything about this place - size, population, industries etc etc. Any information is better than none, which is my present situation.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are in coastal areas then satellite-based marine charts are available that plot land based topographical features and more in military style precision. Ones I have seen have given excellent deatails of inland areas, but sadly do not detail such land based features by more than one chart inland. Try any marine or boating service.

On Auto Guide highway map "Cham Ni District" is located on road 2073 about 18km North of highway 24 "Nang Rong District". Note that these spellings are not the same as yours and the signs, if in English, could be even another spelling. Don't expect you will find much more than subsistence type farms but have no knowledge of the area.

I assume family/village knows of you? If not you might want to clear a 'surprise visit' first.

Hi CS,

We have a house in Plablachai district near there. In order to find a village you will also need to know the Tambon and village name or number. Just getting to the Ampur or district is not enough.

Once you get off the main higway 218 from Buri Ram to Nang Rong there is usually nothing but dirt roads. There are also no road signs or if there are they are in Thai.

If you know the Ampur,Tambon and Moo Baan or village you may be able to find it. You will need to be able to speak Thai or be with someone who does.

Also if you have never been there before a "surprise visit" might not be a good idea. Are you driving yourself of hiring a car and driver?

LL

I have been reading a bit about Thai customs and expectations regarding unannounced visits, and so have given that idea a miss. It seems it is not the way things should happen in Thailand.

I am really envious of a regular poster in the Trip Reports/ Stories section. Cent used to post all these fascinating, and amusing accounts of life in an Issan village, married to his Thai village wife. As I am also intending to marry such a girl in the future, I feel I could better understand her dreams and hopes for the future if I could experience firsthand the social structure that she grew up with and shaped her thinking forever. Being from a typical middle class family, I was brought up with a set of beliefs and expectations for life, which I expect are fundamentally different from hers. For us each to experience each others lifestyle, friends, family and 'village' for a period would I think increase understanding between us.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this matter?

I think that's a great idea. But to scratch beneath the surface you need to be prepared to spend quite a bit of time and ideally know how to communicate in Thai at least some. Also you?ll need a guide, there?s plenty available, a girl who can translate well would be best otherwise you'll just see a bunch of smiley faces.

I think it took me 1-2 years before I really started getting a feel for village folks, this after having already lived in another part of Thailand and speaking OK Thai, I must be a slow learner. If I had done this before I'd married my wife I'd probably have a different wife now (but after 15+ years I'm happy I don't).

If you?ve never been to one of the more rural villages you may be in for a bit of culture shock but by all means worth it. Have fun.

I remember the first time I visited my wife's home -- invited, too. Getting there was something of a project. The bus dumped me off at what I THOUGHT was the right place. Turned out to be the right amphur, but wrong tambon. Fortunately, some nice teenage kid took pity on the hapless Farang and took me where I wanted to be on his motorcycle. Refused to let me pay anthing. Hadn't been for him, I might still be looking for the place ... some 20 plus years later!

:dunno:

Hi CS,

Good idea not to drop in uninvited. I think the villagers are generally suspect of outsiders.

I think that you should try to go and visit. If you are serious about this girl there shouldn't be a problem on your visiting. However visiting the family does raise the stakes in the relationship with you and your girlfriend.

Speak to her and see if she can arrange to meet you in Buri Ram city at the bus station. You can hire a truck or tuk tuk out to the village for around 2-300 Bhat. Or she can bring you herself from BKK. I hired a van once from BKk for around 3500 Baht.

When you get there be prepared to spring for a party with plenty of beer and food . Shouldn't cost that much and you can give the parents a tip when you leave. Also some of these villages can be very rustic if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure of your sensibilities but you may not enjoy spending the night there. Actually this time of the year is a good time to go because it will cool and dry.

It will be more like a camping trip and if you are comfortable with that. I bought a mosquito net on my first visit and tucked it around our bed at night. The hygiene is not the best and you will have to use a squat toilet and bathe with a bucket of cold water. All part of the experience in my opinion.

I've posted a few village trip reports here on the board if your'e interested and if you want to know anything you can PM me. We've built a pretty nice house and now it is not so bad still no hot water but at least I have a sit down toilet and a concrete floor. In fact I was just up there a few weeks ago.

LL

Archived