Village maps

camerashy

Does anyone out there have a web page address that allows you to zero in on different parts of Thailand to see the location of all the various villages scattered throughout the Kingdom? I have tried numerous searches and either get sites wanting money, or basic maps no better than a good atlas. :banghead: I want to get up close and personal, to see the layout of villages over an area.

Thanks in advance guys. :beer:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should not answer 'cause I really don't know...but I just would not imagine there are maps in Thailand as detailed as you request. They manage to fuck up mapping even the big stuff in Thailand so how they're going to be able to map on village level is beyond me...(besides there's not much to map for villages; a couple of cross streets, a school and one or two wats... )

I don't think you'll find much on-line.

However, if you're in Bangkok, there are some books published by White Lotus that might be helpful.

I have one which is called (I think, but I'm too lazy to get up and look for the book) "Guide to Linguistic Diversity in Laos" and it's a coffee table book, which the French author did as his doctoral thesis, which maps out every village in Laos, color-coded by tribe and language group, with detailed maps and demographics.

I'm pretty sure the same thing is available for Thailand from White Lotus, most of which titles are available at Asia Books.

Here's a link to White Lotus:

http://www.thailine.com/lotus/

There are some pretty good printed maps in the bookstores here. I use the Michelin Thailand Atlas which has most of the villiages and roads related to villages over about 500 people. Unfortunately there are a lot of smaller villages. It is actually a pretty accurate map and I can get to some fairly remote areas using it. Smaller than that and I am not sure what is available.

Not sure if it is available on the internet. Don't know why you want this but you might consider using the Thai method and post what you are looking for. I would bet somebody on the board is familiar enough with the area to locate your village.

I've tried to find maps of villages in the Lasos/Cambodia/Thai brder area

AFAIK all border area detailed maps are classified and not available to the public. Other areas are available from major bookstores, in Thai, on an intermittent basis (print runs are behind sales). Do not believe there is anything like this available on-line (at least not free or in English).

Detailed maps showing up-country villages seem to be rare - I've only seen one, and yes, it was all in Thai, so not a lot of help. My solution was to take periodic jaunts around the moo-bahn and to surrounding villages on the motorbike with a GPS receiver and make my own map. May not be the solution for your needs, but it is a fun way to make sure you've coverd the territory of interest. :)

RickF

Archived