Bourbon Street?

Has anyone stayed at Bourbon Street? I've looked at their web site, and it looks nice and friendly (especially for Americans).

Looking for info on rooms, guest policy and how much of a hassle it is to get to NEP or Soi Cowboy from there.

Thanks

It's a small quiet place, with no guest hassles and decent security. The rooms have all the standard amenities...minibar, IDDD, cable TV. The bathroom quality didn't quite equal the rest of the room. Safety deposit boxes are available at front desk. Internet available thru a single PC in lobby hallway. They have a fairly large paperback book exchange there too, but that's it with the facilities...no pool or gym. The hotel is above the restaurant, which can be reached thru a backstairs staff entrance. The hotel main entrance is a single door onto a narrow stair leading up to the hallway lobby. A security guy is on duty there all nught and (usually) calls your room before letting visitors drop in.

You don't need to go to Patpong or NEP from Washington Square. There are several places to visit within a block of the hotel, beer bars and indoor bars with (inexpensive) hostesses. But if you do want to go afield,

you can grab a taxi fairly easy on Soi 22, or walk to one of the Skytrain stations on Sukhumvit. The Asok station is on the other side of Soi Asoke, which is a hassle to cross. The Phrom Phong station (Soi 26) is a little further walk but much nicer surroundings. Of course, Soi Cowboy is within walking distance, about 10 minutes I guess, though I'm always stopping off at beerbars along the way... smile.gif" border="0

Thanks Scruffy! That's perfect!

quote:

Originally posted by Scruffy:

It's a small quiet place, with no guest hassles and decent security. The rooms have all the standard amenities...minibar, IDDD, cable TV. The bathroom quality didn't quite equal the rest of the room. Safety deposit boxes are available at front desk. Internet available thru a single PC in lobby hallway. They have a fairly large paperback book exchange there too, but that's it with the facilities...no pool or gym. The hotel is above the restaurant, which can be reached thru a backstairs staff entrance. The hotel main entrance is a single door onto a narrow stair leading up to the hallway lobby. A security guy is on duty there all nught and (usually) calls your room before letting visitors drop in.

You don't need to go to Patpong or NEP from Washington Square. There are several places to visit within a block of the hotel, beer bars and indoor bars with (inexpensive) hostesses. But if you do want to go afield,

you can grab a taxi fairly easy on Soi 22, or walk to one of the Skytrain stations on Sukhumvit. The Asok station is on the other side of Soi Asoke, which is a hassle to cross. The Phrom Phong station (Soi 26) is a little further walk but much nicer surroundings. Of course, Soi Cowboy is within walking distance, about 10 minutes I guess, though I'm always stopping off at beerbars along the way...
smile.gif" border="0

Washington Square;

Bourbon Street rooms are a little overpriced but clean and normally a good breakfast is included. This makes the price a bit more competitive. The owner, Doug is from New Orleans. Good farang food and never a problem with guests.

As you leave Bourbon Street, turn left and you will see The Prince Of Wales. The owner is Pia, my former partner, but that is another story.

The next place is the New Square One. The owner Taffy is a crazy Irishman. Taffy is a treat and usually has a fair amount of girls.

Cross the soi and you will see Denny's Corner. This is an open air bar and the ownership is (was) up in the air.

Head back towards Bourbon Street and turn left at the small Soi. You will see the Crystal Bar. This is a kind of upscale little place. The owner is Dia. A nice lady, but maybe a little snooty. Pretty ladies.

The next place beside Crystal is Happy Pub. The owner is Malee. She is a sweetheart and you should have a good time there. She is a good friend of mine.

Turn right out of the Happy Pub and follow the soi clockwise. After you turn the corner you will see the Mambo (upstairs). DON'T go in there unless you like Katoeys (Shows). However, right below on the ground floor is Studio 22. This is a large bar and has maybe four pool tables, a dance floor and many dart boards. Has many owners.

Going right out of there, you will see the Silver Dollar. The owner is Ott. Her husband is a farang named Ned. This is maybe the best bar in the Square. Normally a lot of girls and a pretty wild place.

Leaving the Silver Dollar turn left and the next place is the Texas Lone Starr (yes Starr) The owner is a crotchety old farang named George. He is an institution by himself. If you want to meet him, go early in the morning. Good daytime bar.

The next place beside the Lone Starr is Wild Country. The owner is named Riam. She is a truly really nice lady and one of my good friends. A fun bar with fun ladies.

Beside Wild Country is the Cat's Meow. The owners name is Maeow. (Cat). Usually pretty quiet, but worth a look.

Tell any of them them Gary (formerly Prince of Wales) sent you. After your round of the Square, you probably won't be able to go anywhere else. Actually, if you can't find it in the Square, you probably don't need it. Tell them where you are staying and if you fall down, the Square girls will drag you to your room. Very safe area. Soi Cowboy is a 12 minute walk and Nana is a short taxi ride.

Gary

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

good review Gary..of all the times I have been through that square..the corner bar is the olny one I have been to..and of course bourbon street...next trip I will definitely check some of these out!

G

Hi Beasty,

I get tired of the Go-go bars and actually prefer somewhere a little quieter. Prices are much cheaper than the Nana, Soi Cowboy, Patpong areas. I never fail to fall in love trying to go the whole circuit. Of course, I fall in love pretty easy especially after a few beers.

Washington Square in Bangkok and Jomtien/Pattaya are my favorite places in Thailand.

Gary

Gary,

Walked thru Washington Sq about an hour ago 9 pm Thai time, dead as a dodo apart from Silver D which always has its regulars, mainly because its well run I suppose, but the Old POW hardly has a customer these days. How the hell does it keep going?? beats me. Taffy has reinvented his bar (again) and as long as he is not there is great ( be better if they could get rid of the all pervasive smell of shit) Denny's was dead ( met her in Hua Hin last week and she wants to reclaim her ownership).

Pia is a typical Thai business person. Kind of like if business is bad, raise the prices to make up for it. Actually it is catch 22 for her. No girls, no customers and no customers, no girls. She refuses to pay the girls if there are no customers, so the girls won't stay. Customers come in and see no girls, so they leave. I don't know how she manages to keep the doors open.

Sounds like you know Taffy. Occasionally he hires a professional Thai janitorial firm and they clean the right places and use the right odor eaters. The place smells fresh as a daisy until he gets in a pissing contest with the service and runs them off. Claims they raise the prices on him after the first couple of service calls. Who knows? TIT.

The last time I was in Denny's, the police were running the place. Seems she had better things to do with her money than to pay the bills. Again, TIT.

Gary

Archived