• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ckrisg:

The full name and address is:-

Hotel Mansion

53 Wireless Road

Lumpini, Patumwan

opposite the British Embassy)

Yes, I have stayed at this hotel about four years ago on the recommendation of a friend who was satisfied with it's location and services when he stayed there for five months , on and off, while in Thailand on business. I, however, was in Thailand on vacation and found that the location and services really didn't suit me.

First of all, I believe that they did try to charge me for bringing in a guest. Not too sure about that, but you might want to check. The local telephone calls from the room were expensive, I don't remember the details now, just that the size of the phone bill surprised me. Something like I thought it was 5 Baht per call and it turned out to be 5 Baht per minute or 50 baht per call. Can't relly remember but it was surprisingly high.

The swimming pool is in shade for most of the day. Asian guests seemed to enjoy it OK, but I remember having to move my lounge chair a couple of times to follow the ever diminishing crack of sunlight until it started moving up the wall about 11 AM.

It's sort of centrally located if you're not spending most of your time between Sukhumvit Soi 3 to 23, which is where I most often found myself. To get there would be a short bus ride or a long walk. You can only take a taxi if you go all around the mulberry bush. Come to think of it, now there is a Skytrain stop at Chitlom about a block away. Still not very convenient to Sukhumvit.

Can't be too critical about the other usual petty annoyances, ie, the room door got stuck, also had a loose doorknob, low water pressure in the shower, etc. Kind of par for the course at this level accommodation and I am proud to be a three star hotel man. The fact that this romm had the standard Thai hotel room window treatment of 60 % of the cutain pins missing, I'm starting to think might be a design thing in LOS. laugh.gif" border="0

In general the place was shabby and depressing, the staff not very friendly, the coffee shop food tastless and expensive.

Why did I remain there? Well, I was only stopping in Bangkok for three days on my way home from Phuket and by the time I realized how much I hated it, it was almost time to check out. So, I guess, you could say I was just too lazy.

Anyway, IMO, ten days might be too long a stay at a place like this. If you're already locked into a package deal or are coming to Bangkok for the first time, I wouldn't sweat it. It's really not worse than a lot of others.

You could always start off there and then spend a few hours looking at other places and checkout after a night. One of my favorite pastimes, especially in Thailand, is to check out hotel rooms in places that look inexpensive and decent.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your stay, Guido. smile.gif" border="0

Archived