Condo Advice

I have been travelling in and out of LOS for 5 years now. I end up there every 3 - 6 weeks for about a week.

With some extra funds I am considering purchasing a condo!

Any advice? I looked at several during my last trip and find them very affordable.

Any idea what I should expect in regards to taxes, utilities etc.?

Any insight would be appreciated!

regards,

Jester

quote:

Originally posted by jester:

I have been travelling in and out of LOS for 5 years now. I end up there every 3 - 6 weeks for about a week.

With some extra funds I am considering purchasing a condo!

Jester

I kind you are quite right in saying they are quite affordable, about one third the price in dollar , when compared to a few years ago.

You seem to be interested in what else to expect besides the purchase cost.

Utilities. I assume you electricity etc.

I would say about 2500 baht per month for any medium size room you keep airconditioning running. Water expenses negligible. UBC-TV about 1000 baht per month.

Maintenance costs, depending on the building, between 15-35 baht/square meter, you have to ask. Taxes : there is a kind of property transfer tax, it used to be in the range of 1% of the price, I read a few times it was waived because of the economic downturn, but you should ask about this. If you have income from your property, I guess you are sometimes expected to pay taxes on them, but that depends on whether you live here fulltime or not, whether you pay taxes in your homecountry etc. In any case the sums would not be that high, unless you have a high income.

One advice I can give you, if you buy, you will be asked to give proof that you brought the money in from outside the country. So if you transfer money, change travellers cheques to your account or whatever, you have to tell your bank it is for purchase of a condo, so they can fill in an appropriate form and give it to you.(I had some problems with this, when I had to get these forms retroactively, Bangkok Bank was not very helpful then and I lost some money due to this)

If you want further information about auctions, I know a little bit how it works, although I never attended one. Ask for it.

bar prices

old stuff

Hey boemba,

I would love to hear what more you know about buying a condo. I am in the market for one and right now I am just trying to find out more about prices. We want to live in the city (doesn't everyone) but I know the prices are cheaper on the outskirts of town. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom place in a decent location. Can you guesstimate a price range on a place like that?

Thanks for any more info...

Archived