Children walking carts dangerous?

limbo

Hi,

Just got off the phone with my dad and het told me that those carts you can put a child in, and they can walk around in it, are bad for their health.

Apparently they're forbidden in Holland because they can damage the region of the baby where the pelvis is, the bones there (sorry, don't know the English word, the bones below the hips I guess).

Anybody knows or heard about this before?

I know they are banned in some countries because of babys rolling downs stairs and off balconys etc, never heard about the ban being because of damage to bones before though,

If you use these walkers you got to keep them in a room where they can not fall as I saw a bad accident with a kid left alone for only a minute and went over a balcony falling 3 feet and split all the mouth open, not nice to see !!

The problem as I understood it from my wife, who never allowed them was that the child is basically squat sitting and only using their legs for propulsion. So they don't develop the proper muscle in their upper thighs that come from walking without this artificial support.

Many parents use these things as virtual babysitters with the toddler spending most of their day in it, rather than crawling, walking and climbing and developing their natural mobility muscles.

But what do I know, it was along time ago and I'm just an ole fart now :dunno:

Says LaoHuLi:

The problem as I understood it from my wife, who never allowed them was that the child is basically squat sitting and only using their legs for propulsion. So they don't develop the proper muscle in their upper thighs that come from walking without this artificial support.

[color:"red"] Valid point
[/color]

Many parents use these things as virtual babysitters with the toddler spending most of their day in it, rather than crawling, walking and climbing and developing their natural mobility muscles.

[color:"red"] I agree on this, today our toddler climbed on a table for the first time, which was exciting but also caused an immediate clean up action for all itmes to about 75cm off the floor ::
[/color]

But what do I know, it was along time ago and I'm just an ole fart now
:dunno:

[color:"red"] Doesn't that make you wiser than?
[/color]

[color:"blue"] But what do I know, it was along time ago and I'm just an ole fart now

Doesn't that make you wiser than? [/color]

Wish it did. :banghead:

Age doesn't make you smarter, just gives you enough experience to realize what you are standing in, without going in up to your armpits. :doah:

Well, somedays anyway. :rolleyes:

Guest lazyphil

I've not heard of this problem with these carts which does surprise me as here in the UK the government are quick to scare the living crap out of parents on top of the usual scare mongering like the MMR vaccine etc. I'd be interested to read something that backs up this claim/verdict as it doesn't sound as outlandish as it first appeared when I first read the post. But the again I?m quite certain my sisters and me and my neighbours of years ago played with them with no ill effects I?m aware of :dunno:

Just got an answer back from my dad.

It's along the lines of LHL reasoning, my dad's docter told him that when the kids are really young, their body is disproportionially big compared to their legs, so there's too much presuure on their legs, thus possibly changing the normal growth of the pelvis area.

Archived