Gun that killed Jesse James sold for $350,000

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_837670.html

Gun that killed Jesse James sold for $350,000

The gun that killed outlaw Jesse James has sold at auction for $350,000 in California.

The .44 calibre nickel-finished Smith & Wesson was bought by an absentee bidder who requested anonymity, said Brian Maize, spokesman for Little John's Antique Arms.

There were more than 20 bidders for the pistol, which had been expected to bring about $300,000.

"It probably went back to Texas," Mr Maize said. "(The price) bounced around, struck at 300 and crawled up to 350."

He said the top bid was a record for a Western history firearm. The previous high was $240,000 paid in 1998 for a pistol used by outlaw "Blackjack" Ketchum.

Little John's owner, John Gangel, acquired the gun about six months ago from a collector who bought it for $160,000 at a 1993 auction in England.

Bob Ford, a late recruit to Jesse James's gang of bank, train and stagecoach robbers, killed James on April 3, 1882, in St Joseph, Missouri. The revolver was made in about 1875.

Story filed: 07:17 Wednesday 12th November 2003

Historical firears like this are becoming pricelss as many are in museums....

My new fetisu is Russian Nagant revolvers...hope to get the one used on Anastasia, I already have the one that popped Bukharin...

Says Wildalaska:

My new fetisu is Russian Nagant revolvers...hope to get the one used on Anastasia, I already have the one that popped Bukharin...

cool WA :beer:

Says Wildalaska:

Then I wonder, why people are still paying such high prices? I highly assume, they have a profound knowledge of the market too.

To be honest historical firearms with documentation outside museums are extremely rare, accodingly they will command huge sums. Imagine if you will the gun that was used to assisnate Archduke Franz Ferdinad in 1914..its in a museum but if it wasnt...I daresay that as a piece of history that would carry with it a price tag of at least a million...

Or the pistol ol Adolph shot himself with...?? Wow..

Provenance is the key...thats why old Colt revolvers are worth so much...the Colt factory can trace when a specific gun was made...and where it was shipped to..obviously one that was issued to the 7th Cavalry (Custer) is worth more than one that went to Toms Hardware store....

You have to intensively study not only the weapon itslf but research the market..I spend tons of time studying...

Hey WA, you seem to know a bit about the market. What about the guns that assassinated JFK, RFK and MLK? Are they still part of the FBI's evidence locker or were they released somehow and if so to whom? Not that I'd buy it, too morbid for me, I guess and too recent history but wondering what would happen to it eventually?

Being a bit of a history nut, I wouldn't mind having Napolean's gun or sword, Washingtons ceremonial sword as well or gun. Patton's famous revolver. Was it a ivory handle? Can't recall.

Archived