(The Nation) No breasts please

http://nationmultimedia.com/page.news.php3?clid=2&id=103695&usrsess=1

EXPOSED BREASTS: Move to cover up models

Published on Nov 18, 2003

Police to monitor fashion shows as Culture Ministry flexes muscle

After slapping a ban on songs about forbidden love, the Culture Ministry has now decided to clamp down on bare breasts seen on fashion catwalks and in the pages of couture magazines.

Alarmed by a perceived increase in the number of models showing their breasts in the name of fashion and the speed with which nipple stickers have become trendy among teenagers, Culture Minister Anurak Jureemas asked the police and the Consumer Protection Board to closely monitor fashion shows and publications.

The ministry also sent a letter to the publisher of Elle magazine, warning against a repetition of ?Elle Bangkok Fashion Week 2003?, in which several models sashayed down the catwalk with either dangerously plunging necklines, or one-shoulder tops that barely concealed the model?s breasts.

?The ministry considers the show to be a breach of Thai culture and a violation of Article 388 of the Criminal Code, which prohibits obscene acts,? said Ladda Tangsupachai, director of the ministry?s cultural watchdog centre.

The ministry warned that although it does not have the power to crack down on ?obscenity disguised as art?, potential offenders had better take its warnings seriously, because the agency is set to extend its jurisdiction to censorship.

?We have been perceived in the past as a paper tiger, and the law is lenient towards bare breasts at fashion shows or in magazine photo spreads, unless the models are deemed to be in obscene or highly seductive poses,? said Ladda.

?But the Culture Ministry is going to take over and oversee the censorship work of the police in two years, so things are about to change. We will seek legal amendments to make sure bare breasts are illegal and that both the models and the media are held accountable.?

The ministry will also seek to control the prevalence of VCDs with obscene content, she said.

Increasingly adventurous designers and fashion organisers have been partially blamed for the revealing fashion choices of Thai teens.

Nipple stickers ? an accessory popular among fashion models ? have spun off the catwalk and gained popularity on the street, causing concern among conservatives that bras will become a thing of the past.

But the ministry, which drew heavy criticism recently when seeking a ban on songs with references to adultery, faces stiff defiance from the fashion community.

Model Odette Henriette Jacqmin said blaming her and her peers for public interest in the nipple stickers they have been using for professional reasons was unfair.

?We used the stickers because we were cautious about our shows in the first place,? she said.

Elle editor-in-chief Kulawit Laosuksri said all types of designs had been seen on catwalks, but the media may have been more interested in revealing ones, creating a false impression about designers.

?Nobody wants to walk naked in public,? Kulawit said. ?Everyone just wants to promote and sell outfits.?

Designer Nakorn Sambhan-Dharaksa, whose work was displayed at the Elle Bangkok Fashion Week 2003 show, said this year?s show was similar to those in the past, but there had been no complaints until the Culture Ministry ? set up last year ? came into existence.

?Don?t they have any better way of protecting culture? This is nonsense,? he said.

Vice Minister for Industry Panlert Baiyoke, who is in charge of promoting Thailand as a fashion centre, said he saw nothing wrong with the Elle fashion show.

?I attended the event and it was good. I was there to watch nice dresses, not find faults, and as far as I?m concerned no model deliberately bared her breasts,? he said.

Panlert called on the Culture Ministry to be more considerate when commenting on events in which organisers have invested a lot of money, creativity and human resources.

?It?s OK to say that models should walk more carefully, but the ministry should refrain from hurting those people?s feelings,? he added.

Napanisa Kaewmorakot, Pakamas Jaichalard

The Nation

Hi!

If you like me had lived in Stockholm in the 70's you would have developed selective eyesight. All ladies were tossing their bras. Teenagers with large hooters defying the law of gravity as well as the elderly that ran a severe risk of getting their nipples caught in escalators. Selective bird watching was a matter of survival or at least a prerequisite to maintaining one's sanity.

I seem to have kept this abillity intact over the years and only see what I want to. :grinyes:

regards

ALHOLK

My g/f was there to represent one of the sponsers. She said the Cultural Ministry has their head up their ass. Nothing of a lewd nature happened at all. We were online right before she left for event, and I remember her telling me shortly afterwards, that her company had been contacted by this agency shortly afterwards.

>>>>>?But the Culture Ministry is going to take over and oversee the censorship work of the police in two years, so things are about to change. <<<<

This cannot be a good thing. Feeling is among the Thai's I've talked to about this, is that these guys are over the top. Elle elite show is an international event, doing nothing different in Thailand, than they do around the world. Pretty hypocritical of a nation known as the 'whore house to the world', to be complaining about run-of-the-mill fashion shows, in their country.

If they are serious about preserving their 'cultural values', they have more than enough work awaiting them in-house, without attacking international events. That is fine to do, but not unless your own house is in order. Will be interesting to see, as this ministry is granted greater powers in the next couple of years, what the reaction will be. Both from Thai nationals, and the international community. :dunno:

HT

Archived