Belgium: Mobile phone started ringing in coffin

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_839308.html

Ananova:

Mobile phone started ringing inside coffin

Mourners at a chapel of rest in Belgium were shocked when a mobile phone started ringing inside the coffin.

Relatives of Marc Marchal have now lodged a complaint against the undertaker, says Gazet van Antwerpen.

Mr Marchal, 32, from Rochefort, died instantly when his motorcycle crashed into a tractor between Rochefort and Saint-Hubert.

Because the body was badly mutilated, the undertaker suggested the family say their final farewell with the body already in the coffin.

They were all gathered around the coffin at the undertaker's premises on the evening before the funeral when the phone started ringing.

Some members of the family were so startled they ran outside while the undertaker had to reopen the coffin to empty the dead man's pockets.

The relatives want police to charge the undertaker who they say cannot have prepared the body properly.

Story filed: 09:48 Tuesday 18th November 2003

[color:"blue"] The relatives want police to charge the undertaker who they say cannot have prepared the body properly.

[/color]

What's their problem ?

The body was fine (except for being dead of course).

No one stole his personal property.

Did they return the call ? (Sorry Marc can't come to the phone right now, he's dead.)

What kind of a phone was it ? (Good battery life !)

Was it a carpet cleaning service making a 'cold call' ?

Hope it was the ex looking for money. :grinyes:

I've heard of people who suffered from catalepsy in life asked to be buried with mobile phones.

(cataleptic fit:body temperature drops,pulse and heartbeat slow right down are bearly audible giving the symptoms of death)

More than a few people had an unpleasant surprise when they came round in times gone by :(.

In the UK in the 19th century, there was I believe a phase for coffins to have a bell on the top with a rope fed down into the coffin so that the (very nearly) deceased could alert people to his recovery !!

I think this came about when graves were emptied and re-used. They found many coffins with scratch marks caused by the incumbant's nails as they frantically tried to get out. the practice of re-using graves was widespread due to chronic lack of space.

rusty said:

I've heard of people who suffered from catalepsy in life asked to be buried with mobile phones.

(cataleptic fit:body temperature drops,pulse and heartbeat slow right down are bearly audible giving the symptoms of death)

More than a few people had an unpleasant surprise when they came round in times gone by :(.

Wouldn't modern enbalming methods (i.e. draining all the blood and replacing with enbalming fluid) eliminate the need for a mobile in the coffin?

Archived