Word for Backpacker in thai?

Pescator

Cannot seem to find a single word covering the word backpacker. Is there one?

I am not looking for a circumlocution as I can do that myself but for the precise word if there is such one.

And while I am at it, what about a wildlife sanctuary? Not national park but wildlife sanctuary.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Cannot seem to find a single word covering the word backpacker. Is there one?

Thai people just say "Ấᾤà¤ÃÃì" It's either that, or it's a circumlocution for you:

"backpackers" in thai is äÃé¾Ç¡âä¨Ôµ¹Ñé¹ ·Õèà´Ô¹·Ò§ä»·ÑèÇâÅ¡â´ÂäÃèÃÕà˵ؼŹÃ¡¨Ò¡¡ÒÃàÊÒÃËÒÊÔ觷ÕèÃÂÙè¢éҧ㹵ÑÇÃѹàç

...¾Ù´àÅè¹ :neener:

Hi Beach,

It will seem that one will soon be able to get along everywhere in Thailand in english if one just speaks s l o w l y :)

So they really use the same word? Well, I guess I cannot blame them, we do that in my country as well where english seems to be increasingly "contaminating" our beautiful language of danish. ::

By the way, I noticed you have put the word "circumlocution" in italics. Did I use that incorrectly? Didnt really knew the word so I looked it up in a dictionary. :dunno:

Well, I believe that concerning the definition of backpacker you have posted that most backpackers travel to see new places/people/cultures etc.etc. not to "find themselves" and not as a spiritual experience although I have sure met some weirdos who were into that too big time.

You know like the exhibitionist kind dressed in Hara Krisna clothes, head shaven just leaving a knot playing an indian citar in the middle of the beach during "rush hour". "Hey, can everybody see me, can everybody hear me?"

I have previously posted a question about the ever interesting subject of female breasts, tits, hooters etc.

Isn`t there some slang words for this in thai?

I believe we have quite a few new posters on this board by now, so mayby someone would know?

Cheers

Hua Nguu

By the way, I noticed you have put the word "circumlocution" in italics. Did I use that incorrectly? Didnt really knew the word so I looked it up in a dictionary.

No. Well... not that I know of. I put the word in itallics because before I read your post, I had never seen the word, ever. Essentially, it was my first time ever using the word, so I decided to give it some special attention ::

So they really use the same word?

Yep. Although, sometimes they just say "backpack" (sans the "er" ending)--Ấᾤ

I have previously posted a question about the ever interesting subject of female breasts, tits, hooters etc.

Isn`t there some slang words for this in thai?

Boobies, eh? You would think so, wouldn't ya? I suppose one could use a plethora of words as long as the context is understood.

ᵧâà (watermelons)

ä¿Ë¹éÒ (headlights - not as commonly used)

˹éÒá ˹éÒ㨠(describes a girl with bigg'ns)

ÃÖëà (describes a girl with nice boobs)

·ÕÇÕ¨Ãẹ (flat chested, lit. flat screen TV)

(á)ä¢è´ÒÇ (little boobs)

»·Øöѹ (ËÑǹüÙéË­Ô§)

ÅÙ¡à¡´ (ËÑǹâçà¾ÈË­Ô§)

I came up a short informal exchange between some Thai friends going on about a girl's boobs. I wouldn't really recommend using some of the language in here--it's for educational purposes. (btw ºÕ is the girl's name).

A. ¹Õè ¾Ç¡á¡ÇèÒÃÑê ÇèÒºÕÃÖëâÖé¹ä»àÂÃÃàÅÂ

B. ºéÒÃÖä§ ˹éÒáà¸Ã¹à àËÃ×ù·ÕÇÕ¨Ãẹà»êÃàÅ ·èÒ·Ò§ÀÒ¾¨ÃªÑ´´éÇÂ

A. àÎéÂ! Åç´ÙÃÙ»¹ÕéÊÔÇèà à¸Ã´ÙàËÃ×ù¨ÃÃÕ˹éÒá˹éÒ㨨ÃÔ§æ

B. ...´Ù¹Õè à¸Ã¡ÓÅѧÂ×´Ã¡ä§ àª×èÃàÃÒÊÔ à¸ÃÃÕà¾Õ§á¤è¢¹Ò´ä¢è´ÒÇâÇéÂ

Hi Beach,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I noticed you have put the word "circumlocution" in italics. Did I use that incorrectly? Didnt really knew the word so I looked it up in a dictionary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. Well... not that I know of. I put the word in itallics because before I read your post, I had never seen the word, ever. Essentially, it was my first time ever using the word, so I decided to give it some special attention

Hehe. Yes, this board apparently never ceases to add new words to my vocabulary. However, please refrain from using it in any future conversation with me as you will most likely only get a blank stare of incomprehension in response ::

I am however rather confident that the thai words for tits you mention will be forever imprented in my brain. Funny how these kind of words always seem to so much easier to remember.

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Loved the girls` conversation by the way. ::

Good to see you on this board by the way. Posters with a good grasp of thai language and a willingness to share this knowledge is definitely a benefit to this board.

So now it seems that I have one more poster to ask my inane questions. Great. :)

cheers

Hua Nguu

I don't think I've heard that one before. Do you mean µ¡à¤Ã×èçºÔ¹ ??? That actually means "to miss a flight." It's possible that she was making up some kind of sarcastic name, or maybe there's another word for backpacker? :rolleyes:

If a Thai people didn't have the word "backpacker" to rely on, they might refer to them as ¹Ñ¡à´Ô¹·Ò§â´ÂÃÕÊÑÃÀÒÃÃÃÂÙ躹ËÅѧ

If a Thai people didn't have the word "backpacker" to rely on, they might refer to them as ¹Ñ¡à´Ô¹·Ò§â´ÂÃÕÊÑÃÀÒÃÃÃÂÙ躹ËÅѧ

or 'Tao' (turtle) for short

Really aside from the more urban and touristy areas (where they use the term 'backpacker') there would be no distinguishment between different types of falang tourist.

Huh? No, I don't think so. ¢Õ鹡 (kee nok) means something more like "white trash," not "backpacker." That is, it'd be unfair to call all backpackers ¢Õ鹡.

need to take a little care with " Tao " its also a derogatory word for females used by gay men

Additionally, it can be another word what means "boobies" (ÊçàµèÒ).

Archived