full flights out of BKK until Sept??

gene1944

I was changing my departure date on EVA for a flight back to the US. Before I changed it, the reservation agent warned me that there were no seats available until September if I changed it.

I had a friend on UAL and they were told the same thing when they tried to change their flight

Anything happening (other than the summer vacation) that is filling up all the flights??

GF (Thailand) comes to Denmark soon and after one week we go to LOS together. She asked a travel agency to check for alternative days with Thai and got the answer that nothing was free for months, but then she showed her Royal Orchid Plus card (silver) suddenly several possibilities could be offered.

It seems that airlines make reserves for their frequent flyers. So if you have a courtesy card use it - if not wait and see.

elef

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

""the reservation agent warned me that there were no seats available until September if I changed it.""

Take this warning seriously!

Looks like things haven't changed. Tried returning on Eva to USA in mid August about five years ago had to wait till September 18th for a seat. No amount of phone calls or pleading with supervisors made any difference. We we're traveling two persons together. You may have better chances for a seat if your traveling alone.

Apparently this is cause by the annual migration of people from Asia to USA returning from vacations or going back to school.

Getting a seat from Bangkok to Taipei is not the problem. Getting out of Taipei is. Better to be stuck in Bangkok then Taipei.

wink.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by gene1944:

I was changing my departure date on EVA for a flight back to the US. Before I changed it, the reservation agent warned me that there were no seats available until September if I changed it.

I had a friend on UAL and they were told the same thing when they tried to change their flight

Anything happening (other than the summer vacation) that is filling up all the flights??

I fly back and forth between Seattle and Bangkok on a regular basis, usually via Tokyo, sometimes via Taipei.

In my experiences on United, JAL, EVA, ANA, etc, the flights between the other Asian city and BKK run VERY full. It can be really hard to get a seat. On EVA, this extends to the TPE-SEA part as well: those flights are booked up completely solid months in advance.

Now, there are MANY flights between BKK and other Asian cities, but if you going to North America, only a few of them work with your onward connection -- which might explain the loads. I'd bet the evening flights to Tokyo, Taipei, etc, are a bit lighter. Of course, this doesn't help if you're on an discounted ticket that doesn't allow stop-overs, etc.

that's very amazing; i have to fly out of bangkok about 3-4 times per month and at least once every 2 months intercontinental and i usually can never book more than 1 week in advance and usually never have a problem to get a reservation

Hmmm. I bought a round trip ticket bkk->sfo-->bkk on July 2nd for a July 4th departure. China airlines - $620. I was going to return on August 6th but on the 20th I changed it to the 25th with no problem. (3 more days! god the states feel boring now) I guess things really tighten up at the end of summer!!

Of course AVA, being the cheapest airline is usually full well in advance. 2 week wait on July 2nd for the transpacific route.

The problem may be that there are no seats at your fare rate. Airlines block seats at various rates. The discounted fares usually go first, and there may be a limited amount of these avaiable in the first place. The business traveler, usually paying a higher fare has more options. and seats open to them. It's not unusual on any airplane to have 5-6 different fares besides the 3 classes of service.

quote:

Originally posted by gene1944:

I just tried to change a bkk->sfo flight one UAL that was purchased using frequent flyer miles. Wow, these 'free' seats are restricted! Next available seat: January 19, 2002.

You are not kidding - UAL frequent flier flights, especially to Asia, often require 4 or more months advance notice. Then, try changing your ticket if you want to extend!

Of course, this varies by season, but these days I simply find it easier to use my frequent flier miles for inter-Asia or w/in-USA flights, and build the miles up on the long hauls to Asia.

froggo

froggo

Thanks to Gene1944 for posting this subject and reminding me to call about my open return ticket on Korean Air. I completely forgot and was planning to return to the US the first week in August.

FYI, the earliest seat I could book with the return part of my opened "mileage" ticket was August 14th. Not so bad. I'd like to return earlier so I got someone on the other end of the phone in their Bangkok office to promise to check with the "head office" (?) to release an August 6th or 7th seat for me. Evidently they are available but the airline is reluctent to reserve them for anyone who is flying for free.

Archived