Desperately awaiting the Xmas break - sigh

gobbledonk

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is counting the days and weeks until the Xmas break and (in most cases) a long-awaited return to Asia. I know that focussing on it only makes it seem further away, but this is the time of year when everything starts to seem like a complete drag, and the only thing which keeps us going is the anticipation of the upcoming break. Roll on, Dec 19 !

Yep, think about 3 degree celsius, drizzle all day and night, grey skies, no sun, trees without leaves, strong winds ..... Europe is great at this time of year :(

While writing this, I am in BKK right now :neener::)

OK, so I'm not writing this from under 3 feet of snow, but I can assure you all that CQ is a pretty boring neck of the woods - work, sleep, eat - with few of the attractions that you enjoy in the 'big smoke'. I dont miss Sydney's (or the Gold Coast's) beaches, but I do miss the vibrancy of living in a city. That's what I really enjoy about Asia - its so completely *alive* : I dont know that I could live there 24/7, but its great for a break from the 'boonies' :grinyes:

On the other side of the coin, I take it for granted that I can get into bed at night without the wail of sirens in the background - I guess every location has its pros and cons. I guess this place isnt all bad - maybe I'll check out that Croc Farm on the weekend :neener:

PS Not everyone in sunny QLD lives next to the beach. I guess its all relative, though - I could drive down to largely deserted beaches (25 minutes) every afternoon, but there arent any waves, so where is the fun in that ? Sydney is still the pick of cities-with-surf-beaches for mine, but who the hell can afford that real estate ?

Guest lazyphil

Its dark at 4pm and light at 8am--Peter1964 described it well--no colour-bleak and rainy--I would swap Queensland for practically anywhere (including LOS in many ways) and I've never been to Australia but I have a good idea what its about--never had the urge to go to Sydney and other Australian cities though or barren interior wastelands but the tropical north sounds idyllic.

LOL ! Phil, without knowing it, you have given a spectacular description of *Melbourne*, anywhere from about March through October ::

Ironically, one of the things I hear most often from locals up here in QLD is 'You can always put on more clothes when it gets cold, but you cant take anything more off when it gets hot !'. Half of Tasmania wants to move to QLD, and half of QLD wants to move to Tassie !

Personally, I think we'd all be happiest in something between 25-28 deg C, but average temps here in Summer are ridiculously high. You would have *adored* the weather here yesterday - 33 deg C, not even a wisp of cloud in a painfully blue sky and a light breeze from the SW. Alas, it will soon give way to relentless 40deg days and 30 deg nights - good acclimatisation for Asia :grinyes:

Guest lazyphil

We had some mad heat in the summer here this year--the mercury hit 100f on one day and hovered around 95-98 for a few more--VERY unusual it must be said--even the mrs was having probs coping :: ::--now its pissing with rain and basically horrible and I'm not coping--I'm a whinging pom so I can whine about the weather if I have too ::

Archived