Inet dailup access in Sukhumvit area hotel room ?

tilac

Hi there,

I will be in BKK / PTY arriving this weekend for app. 14 days !

I want to buy a dail-up account with a Thai ISP during my stay, and then connect with my laptop from my hotel room somewhere in lower Sukhumvit.

Any recommendations on budget/midrange hotels in this area where this is possible at local rates and without time limits ( I know some of some PABX's disconnect after5-10 minutes and you have to dailin again)

Waiting for your helpful replies.

Thanks from tilac

Don't see what's the problem. Every hotel will let you dial Inet (Inet is the name of one of larger providers in BKK) local number, at a local call rate (number prefixed by "0," - don't forget the comma) or even free of charge for local calls.

You said you knew of some hotels that disconnect after 10-15 minutes - I don't know of any.

Until now I thought all of them had unlimited local call duration.

You question basically is - which hotels don't time/disconnect local calls.

Don't forget that some hotels won't allow a direct connection, i.e. you need to go thru an operator. In that case, you can't use Internet from a lap top. Though I admit this case is not very common in Bangkok (but elsewhere in the country).

Likewise, I've not heard of limited connection (local phone call) time in hotels but I would not be surprised if they existed. That sort of set-up is quite common in Bangkok apartments.

As for a recommendation of hotels. I don't know. I imagine that one is likely to do ok with most mid-range and up hotels in Bangkok and it's probably the same in Pattaya.

>Don't forget that some hotels won't allow a direct connection, i.e. you need to go thru an operator.

I can't believe any mid-priced (1000-2000B) hotel in BKK would still have operator assisted local calls.

(I know of some places in UK that would charge you a local call (hotel rate) after 3 rings even if the connection has not been established - just for engaging the line with your call attempt)

Re mid range: The Grand President offers high-speed internet connections for a reasonable fee (and what I have heard, they improved over the recent time). Of course, you can always use the telephone line too.

Archived