Does anyone actually fall for these scams ???

gobbledonk

We've all seen these - 'I have just come into a large sum, just send me your account details and I'll split it with you', accompanied by a lurid tale of untimely death and no known will, etc. Priceless the first time you get it, pretty tedious thereafter.

My question is: has the gene pool reached such a low ebb that people actually fall for these scams ?? If not, it seems like an awful waste of time on the part of the would-be scammers. The latest, hilariously, attached a phone number for suckers, er, investors to contact :

PHONE:{870}763648313

{870}763648314

FAX: {870}763648315

Dr Steve, eh ? Any relation to Dr Nick of Simpsons fame ?

I read a report, that despite being almostly universally known as a scam, the Nigerian ploy still rakes in BILLIONS every year.

Sure a bunch of smart turnips on the truck :banghead:

Greed is such a wonderful motivator.

artiew said:

LOL, LHL ! I suspect that should have read 'I will deposit your share in a *girl* from Nana !' :grinyes:

You are referring to one of the "tellers" or as they are called today " Personal Financial Assistant " :neener:

Several studies have indicated that these "419" Scams are the 3rd to 5th largest Foreign Exchange earner for Nigeria; in addition the total lack of effective action against the perpetrators by successive Nigerian Governments, over many years, makes a lot of people suspect that in fact they are sanctioned and supported at senior levels within the Administration there.

Before the internet spamming age, they used to employ a technique of finding the widow of a high ranking executive that recently died. They would tell her that her husband had a huge offshore account unknown to her which worked like a charm in cleaning out all her inheritance.

OK, I accept that greed is, indeed, a powerful motivator, but surely the wording in these emails is enough to have alarm bells ringing ? Bizarre CAPITALISATION where none is needed, inconsistent use of 'broken' English and hard sell phrases which appear to have been lifted straight from the latest Readers Digest mailout : hilarious stuff.

I guess that there have been con-men in every age, but I really find spammers to be the lowest form of life, and most of the marketing 'profession' isnt a whole lot further up the evolutionary chain.

Archived