Don mueng taxi mafia

Lusty

Lads,please can you tell me the best tactic of not getting overcharged by the taxi mafia at the airport.On my last trip I also got taken to four other hotels before I got to the one I wanted even though I explained to the woman on the desk that I had already payed for my hotel up front.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you book a taxi at the airport you get a slip of paper with the number of the taxi written on it and which also doubles as a postcard. In case of complaints it can be filled up a mailed to right away the transport authority. Many taxi drivers try to snatch that piece of paper from you ("Oh, let me have a look if it's really my number on this!"); don't let this happen under any circumstances.

If the drivers refuses to switch on the meter, tell him you won't pay him and if you have a mobile with you call the tourist police at 1699. If the drives whines for a tip or higher fare ("You give me 300 Baht, okay?"), don't even respond. Let him talk to himself. If he whines persistenltly, tell him to shut up and that you will make a complaint about him; scrutinise your taxi slip so that he realises you're serious. Don't even respond when the driver recommends hotel so-and-so - just answer with one, strong, very firm "No!" Finish.

I've had two taxis from the airport which had rigged meters; the fare to my place came to 50-60% more than what it should have been. It told the respective drivers that I will pay 170 Baht (that is the usual fare), and if they don't like it I will call the police; both accepted meekly.

In short: don't be soft on these crooks(there are many very nice taxi drivers, too), show them that they won't get away with any monkey business. It's sad testament to the state of affairs at the airport (and Thailand in general) that after so many years of complaints by tourists, there are still rip-offs at the airport. Will they ever learn?

If you don't like the service at the official taxi stand, why not go upstairs and hail a cab dropping people off? They're not supposed to take you but I've never been hassled doing this. You save the 50 baht clip for airport fee too. Of course, you don't get the complaint ticket (never even knew what that was good for).

Just don't make a big deal about getting into your ride. And be sure you abide by the usual suggestions like making sure he drops the meter.

Upstairs there is a security guy that takes the details of any taxi you take from there.

The taxis queue near him, at the left hand end of the terminal as you exit.

If you do get a taxi from the stand downstairs Scum-Baggio has stated all the details of the form that you are given. Any problems at all and state a complaint against the git. The taxi driver not Scum

You could always take the airport bus. 100 baht fixed fare to most areas of BKK including Sukhumvit. It's aircon, and usually almost empty so you have a double seat to yourself. It's quick, they take the expressway, and in that kind of traffic it takes no longer than a taxi. It's pretty hard to get ripped off on a bus!

IMHO it's easier than a taxi and no chance of any hassle. It has several stops along Sukhumvit and the staff speak English, just tell them your hotel and they drop you off at the nearest stop, it's never a long walk.

Am I alone in that I have never, ever had any trouble with the public taxis from Bangkok airport to Sukhumvit?

Sometimes they need a gentle reminder to swith on the meter and after the answer to their first question "First time to Thailand?" is "I have been many times before" they are never any problem.

I always use the Tollway from the Airport and once I offer them the toll charges before reaching the toll booth they realise I am not new to Thailand. Just give them a 100 Baht note before the first toll booth and they will give you the change as you go along. If they do not give you the change (30 Baht, I think) then this is deducted from their tip.

Fatbastard33

Same same you FB33.

I always catch a cab from the upstairs departure area. Never had a problem (except when they cunningly turn off the up elevator to prevent access to upstairs - although I haven't even struck that lately ). As long as the cab driver realises I ain't a newbie I have never had any grief from them. I have much more trouble trying to get a meter fare back to the airport. Until I speak a little thai to them they invariably do not want to put on the meter ! Incidentally you weren't the guy I was talking to at the GP tower 3 swimming pool in May were you?

Cheers Hall

Rictic posted:

quote:

Upstairs there is a security guy that takes the details of any taxi you take from there.

The taxis queue near him, at the left hand end of the terminal as you exit.

Hate to say it but my heart bleeds for them if they get caught. As many times as I've paid the farang tax when I ride one.

The penalties probably aren't too bad (or like most other laws in Thailand - selectively enforced) because I think most have no problem taking the chance.

And I know most of them appreciate the opportunity to have a fare going back since it's a long run back to the tourist areas to run it empty.

Archived