Where can I get a Thai Driver's License?

CosmicSurfer

After living here for 2 years, it's time to get a driver's license so I can buy a motorcycle. Also, I hear that the Thai government may be changing the rules for Farangs getting a license in April... so now's the time... But....

I have no idea where to go. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

CS

Thanks for the Info... I think I'm closer to Mo Chit, so I'll head over there.

I'm not sure of any details about changes... I just heard something somewhere, and as I need to get a license anyway, the rumour is only good motivation.

I have a Florida license so I hope I don't have any problems.

My only worry is that I'm using the Thai immigration Domicle Registration Receipt for proof of residence... and it doesn't show my address on it. :banghead: But it should be OK.

Enjoy the cool weather.

CS

Have you considerd using an international driving permit? If you U.S. license is still in effect, you can download an application from the net, fill it out, and send it and a couple of passport photos to a Florida AAA office with US$10 and get the permit back by mail. A lot easier, I would think, than getting a Thai license.

A Google search for "International Driving Permit Florida AAA" will do it. Lemmeknow if you need details.

(I know this works as I've done it a number of times).

RickF.

• 1 month later...

I've had a Thai drivers license (for both car and motorcycle) for over two years now. When I renewed them a couple of months ago, I got the 5-year renewal for 500 baht. As far as I know, you must have a Non-immigrant type visa to get a license. A tourist visa probably won't work.

Here's what you will need...

- Residence certification from your embassy

- Medical certificate from a doctor

- Passport with non-immigrant visa

- Driver's license from your home country

- 105 baht for license.

If you are applying for a motorcycle license, they may make you take the written test (in English) and do a driving test on their outdoor course. I had to do this in Bangkok when I first applied. One more piece of advise... If you don't speak Thai, then bring a Thai person along with you when you apply. None of the signs or applications are in English at the licensing department.

-JGA

This is a little something I wrote up a while ago.

Requirements and Procedure for Obtaining a Thai Drivers License

The following is the procedure for US citizens to obtain a Thai Drivers License to operate a car or motorcycle in Thailand. It is possible to get a license to operate a motorcycle and a license to operate a car. You will have to specify which or both if you want both. The requirements are the same except for the driving test.

What you will need

1. Copy of US passport with non-immigrant visa for Thailand. Bring original passport and visa with you. Tourist visas and non-immigrant visas with only a short time remaining will probably not be accepted. Copy service is available at the Bureau.

2. Copy of a valid local or US Drivers license. Bring the original license with you. If the license is expired you may be required to take a written examination. There may not be examinations available in English. Copy service is available at the bureau.

3. 2 one inch by one inch photographs. Photographic services are available at the bureau.

4. Medical Certificate issued by a doctor. Certificate issued by a doctor stating you are medically able to drive. The doctor checks pulse, blood pressure, listens to chest and checks for any handicaps that might impair driving. There are several medical clinics (green cross) in the area that charge about 80 Baht for the certificate. The bureau will give a vision test before you are issued a license.

5. Certificate of Residency. Notarized copy issued by the US Embassy for $55.

6. 105 Baht The cost of the license is 105 Baht.

What to do:

After you have assembled what you will need you must visit, in person, the Thai Motor Vehicle Bureau located about 150 Yards past Sukhumvit, soi 99. Turn left under the large white arch and go about 100 yards down the entry road to the white building on the left. Soi 99 is almost directly across from Soi 62 and about ½ mile past the On Nut station of the Elevated train. Some English is spoken at the Bureau

Start by going to window #2 and explaining what you want. After the initial paperwork is completed you will be sent to different windows in the same building and receive the license that day. The first license will be valid for one year and must be signed by the recipient. It is a good idea to have it laminated at a local photo store.

An International Drives License, ?Na Na Chah Bie Kahp Kee ?, is available after you have been issued a Thai Drivers License.

Archived