Documents for buying motorcycle in Thailand

shotover

I'm wanting to buy a small motorcycle (like a Honda Wave) in Bangkok early January. I was told by a dealer that I must submit a "Certificate of Residence" provided by my embassy (USA). When I checked with the USA embassy they said they could provide one for 1200 baht (!).

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, Shotover

I got my certificate of residence for free at the thai embassy. Then I had to have my landlord fill it out. When I went to purchase my bike it was still no deals. I called my thai boss and he came down and 'spoke thai' and ironed every thing out. Bought it in my name, insured in my name, my bike. A month or so later I got a real license not the red plastic 'newbie' license. i gotta say the red license sure was a pick-up target for girls e.g. - "he's new and he has cash for a sweeeet bike!"

never got a drivers license, got pulled over enough and they accepted my US state license.

Speak to a thai and get the details. It will be the best thing you ever did provided you don't crash.

I got my certificate for free at the 'Phuket Immigration' office. I am assuming that any 'immigration office' in Thailand will do the same.

It was the only free thing I got at ANY thai government service. I guess i got a little excited in my post and posted incorrectly. Thank you for the insight.

"never got a drivers license, got pulled over enough and they accepted my US state license."

You really should have an international driving permit to go with your license.

You can do it by mail with these guys:

http://www.aaasouth.com/travel_drivers.asp

You siad "I got my certificate of residence for free at the thai embassy."

Is that the U.S. embassy in Bangkok or a Thai embassy somewhere? Just want to clarify where you received such a valuable document free.

RickF

Is that the U.S. embassy in Bangkok or a Thai embassy somewhere?

He corrected it to immigration office in above post.

You really should have an international driving permit to go with your license.

Yes, if you are a tourist, but if you live here you need a Thai license.

Archived