Applying for an Australian Tourist Visa

gobbledonk

Guys,

As most of us are aware, many Western countries have tightened their visa regs in the past few years, but we must surely have some of the toughest bureaucrats on the planet. My GIG told me that her girlfriend tried to get a *tourist* visa to visit Oz and was rejected, despite having the necessary funds to finance her stay. I'm sure that she would have had no problems if she were Japanese - we welcome the almighty Yen with open arms.

Does anyone have any feedback on this ? I looked on the immigration site for info re sponsoring my GIG, but it seems that is limited to family and business immigration. Why the hell I even need to resort to sponsorship for a 2 week holiday escapes me - she is materially better off than many people in Oz.

It would seem that we are fast returning to the days of the White Australia policy here in Oz. Thanks again, Osama.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Art,

Miss Red applied with no problems 6 months ago for a 4 week trip (3 month visa) if that's what you mean. I didn't sponsor her, although I went to the embassy for moral support and to let them know I'd take care of her needs financially while she was here... as she showed no income. (I think I showed my bank details which were quite low at the time.)

The general feeling is it's all down to how they/we look. We looked like a normal couple, and dressed well for the embassy. Application successful, and - contrary to many reports of the rudeness of the Oz embassy staff - apologised for keeping us waiting so long (couple of hours all up). Some of the couples looked like they's come straight from the beach. (Guys - shorts and singlet; Girls - crop tops and minis. They seemed pretty pissed they were rejected after a 3 hour wait.)

It's 99% appearance and manner in my opinion.

Good Luck, and what's a "GIG"?

Visa rejection at most western embassies is due to overstay problems and the applicant not providing enough reason for their return to Thailand. It is unlikely to have anything to do with Osama. As was also pointed out appearance can make or break if other factors are equal.

Guest lazyphil

<<The general feeling is it's all down to how they/we look. We looked like a normal couple, and dressed well for the embassy>>

The UK embassy is different I think as my mrs got a settlement visa on the day we applied and I looked like a bag of shite--it was down to paperwork being in order and being honest with them. I think the English staff realise that a scruffy looking pleb isn't necessarily indicative of someone whos not genuine about a visa claim--she (the English embassy official) rationalised the situation and I believe helped my situation as I doubt we'd have gotten the visa if down to a face obsessed Thai?? (due to my appearance, unshaven,jeans and T-shirt)

I'd agree there Phil, most of the staff at the Aussie embassy were Thais, so it makes sense.

Keeping in mind, the ONLY thing they have to ascertain is that you are honest, and won't either overstay or work (if that's a condition). Unfortunately they also don't have to give any reasons for rejection.

The UK embassy is different I think as my mrs got a settlement visa on the day we applied and I looked like a bag of shite--

In my appearance reference was thinking more along the line of 'modest' rather than looking like she was going to be hanging out on a street corner.

Guest lazyphil

Actually I thought I looked pretty dapper myself but I thought more critical eyes would've thought just how I described (but I dont give a hoot :clown:)--I certainly felt like a bag of shite due to too much Mr Singha the night before :drunk:

>My GIG told me that her girlfriend tried to get a *tourist* visa to visit Oz and was rejected, despite having the necessary funds to finance her stay.

My TG got rejected November 2002. She had the funds, I had a good job.

Could be, Thai staff in the Embassy in BKK got different stories from 70 plus yrs olds who came with their lawyers (and 20 plus girls).

When it was our turn, we were simply in love.

As you know, she must have received a document from the Embassy stating why she had been rejected and what actions can be taken.

Please, don't be harsh on Aussies. Happens, the local (in my case Thai) staff could be working out their own difficulties.

Hi artiew,

Maybe she should try again.Different day different outcome.Did she have a letter from her employer stating proof of employment.She could also try coming to OZ on a organised tour,this may help.Once she is here she can stay where she likes.I hate dealing with the OZ embassy in bkk.But as stated in other posts,just to many over stays and other probs with Thai women working once here.Last time I was dealing with visa issues in OZ I was reassured by Thai consulate staff that I am very lucky to be getting the gf a visa here and not having to deal with OZ embassy in bkk .That alone says how hard it can be.In the end it is up to the embassy staff on the day .

sky brow.

Archived