Applying for an Australian Tourist Visa

gobbledonk

Hi Red,

Sorry - Good Indonesian Girl, as already noted. I should avoid that term, as it only gets people fired up over the whole 'good girl/ bad girl' thing - enough said.

Thanks to all who replied, and I will pass on the info. Should have clarified several things - she will have to apply to the Oz embassy in Jakarta, not Bangkok, and it was her friend who was rejected, not IG herself. We can only try, and if it is knocked back I'll try to appeal on her behalf from here.

I still feel that 9/11 and subsequent events have made it tougher for people from pro-Islam countries to gain access to the West (she is a Protestant, but will Canberra give a rats ?). Anyway, thanks again.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that to be mostly rubbish and it's more likely to a toughening up due to the influx of Asylum seekers from Muslim countries more so than anything to do with 9/11. It's true that it's hard to get a visa now because of 911 but it's not just true for Muslim citizens. A lot depends on the staff member you are dealing with also. You can easily take an application and give it to a different staff member and end up with a completely different result.

Guest lazyphil

My mum put us up for a few months till the bank trusted me to give me a mortgage :: so she gave the documents regarding accomodation for the embassy.

Jesus, Red : if this is true, then what Steffi says about it coming down to the staff member you end up with, and the sort of day he/she is having, makes me even more depressed. They should have to give a written reason for rejecting any application IMO, and it should be subject to an appeals process whereby the applicant can address each of the reasons given for rejection. As I said before, I am no fan of the bureau-crazy ......

Yes it does depend on the case officer handling the application. In December 2002 my TGF applied for a visitor visa. I went with her, we were both interviewed. The case officer (Thai person) was very obviously biased and rejected the application. I was furious, I wrote an angry complaint to the supervisor and requested that the case be handled by a different person. As there is no appeals process for a visitor visa, we submitted the same application a few days later, were interviewed by another staffer who promptly approved the application.

It's laughable are the amount of girls going to Aus to work on their back who get in on holiday visa's quite easily. Then a bloke shows up with his girlfriend and is told he can't take her.

Still I guess I should thank immigration for letting those girls into Aus and then detaining them 3 months later when they are dobbed in by their own brothels. If it wasn't for all the lovely Thai girls I met in Villawood detention centre, I probably would never have come here.

Yep Arty,

It sounds like a shitfight... We were lucky, TTM wasn't (see above).

Still, sounds like you can reapply the next day, only costs 1850Baht and a few hours in the morning... less than an hous before 9am (I'm told).

Good luck - think positive, Jakarta may be easier. I imagine they'd have less BG's applying therefore, may be handing out a higher % of successful visas.

Archived