Etymology of "TIT"

loner w/a boner

*note* Mr. Moderator. I considered putting this under the Language thread, since it is a language question. However since that thread is about translations of Thai, I reconsidered. Would you kindly relocate this if I have erred? Thanks.**

I've read where board members employed TIT (this is Thailand) to express the futility of many things Thai. I assumed, wrongly, that this was something localized on this board, or among a few in the expat community. I never dreamed this was actually a Thai expression. But I was wrong.

Me: "Darling, in my home country we have a tank with hot water so we can get hot water in kitchen sink or bathroom sink if we want."

Teerak: "In Thailand is too hot. No need hot water."

Me: "What if you want to cut the grease when you wash dishes?"

Teerak: "This is Thailand, darling. No do here."

It was a real knee-slapper for me. First I've heard a Thai say it. Did farangs pick this up from Thais? Is it one of their sayings like "mai pen rai".

Me: "Darling, why do Thais always drink with straws?"

Teerak: "Because glass might be dirty."

Me: "If dirty, won't dirt get in liquid, and get sucked up by straw?"

Teerak: "Maybe only dirty where put mouth."

Me: "What about new soda bottle at store? Maybe rat lick the bottle where you put mouth while still at soda factory?"

Teerak: "Yes dear."

Me: "What if rat lick straw in straw factory?"

Teerak: "Grrr, kick your butt!"

I have so much fun with this gal.

>I've read where board members employed TIT (this is Thailand) to express the futility of many things Thai.

About washing dishes:

"We have liquids, made in Thai for export and local use, they are very cheap, even to us, upcountry. They work with cold water too. Until 10 years ago, we had been using the powder for clothes when washing dishes."

About personal cleanliness: even poor folks take 2-5 showers a day. Children too - before school, after school, before sleeping. Call it "TIT".

The futility of efforts lays somewhere else, not in a lack Thai's concern about themslves and what they eat and drink from.

Guest lazyphil

ime I find Thais pretty hygienic in the kitchen, bathroom and toilet (they clean the arses much better than westerners do wiping it with dry bog roll expecting it to be clean unlike Thais with sprayers and scoops!)

Thanks for both your feedback. There's been a big misunderstanding--all my fault. I actually like the hygiene habits of Thais. I was referring to the origin of the term TIT possibly coming from Thais themselves; whereas I previously thought it was a farang invention referring. My initial message had everything to do with the term, and the phrase "futility", etc...was completely superflous.

I wasn't at ALL suggesting that Thai's hygiene, etc...habits are futile--I find them quite practical, efficient, and innovative for their environment. I think it's superior in many ways and will miss them if ever I relocate.

Sorry if I wrote the above poorly. :doah:

Guest lazyphil

<<I find them quite practical, efficient, and innovative for their environment>>

Makes up for other things where they let themselves down with :banghead:

>I actually like the hygiene habits of Thais. I was referring to the origin of the term TIT possibly coming from Thais themselves; whereas I previously thought it was a farang invention referring.

OK, understood. If the word "dirty" and a Thai person (look: a person) appear on the same page, you may expect some replies, as mine and LazyPhil's.

The term "TIT" could well be invented by us, farangs. Frustrated with Thai beaurocracy while trying to obtain a licence, work permit, whatever.

Before you go much deeper into that, especially if you are after the root cause, check the board rules.

Not sure if it's possible to hihack your own thread, but here goes. Since we're on the subject of hygiene, not only do I like the "recto-rinsers" it's unanimous here--lots better than paper. But, I also love the showers. I know there is some variance from one to another. But they're almost all tiled up to near the ceiling, and the drain in most floors is handy. One apt I lived in, the bathroom had only one compartment--no barrier or curtain for the shower. Just the hot water shower next to the toilet. Takes peeing in the shower to a whole new level, hehehe. Also makes bathroom cleanup real handy--with a slightly uneven floor leading to the drain.

<The term "TIT" could well be invented by us, farangs. Frustrated with Thai beaurocracy while trying to obtain a licence, work permit, whatever.>

That's what I figured. That's why I was so surprised to hear my Thai beloved use the term when I was talking about dishes.

<Before you go much deeper into that, especially if you are after the root cause, check the board rules.>

No problem. Thanks for the warning. This was intended as a "lite" thread. Just wondering if farangs picked it up from Thais. Maybe it was just a fluke coincidence that my Thai galpal said it? :dunno:

Thanks,

:up:

Archived