Thais and Common Sense Safety

gobbledonk

gawguy said:
buddha said:

In the US things are becoming quite redicuous. I imagine that my grandson will have to wear a helmet in the shower in case he slips.

IMO the absolute worst thing about living in my part of farangland (if you have ANY assets) is that we are a society dominated by bloodsucking, lowlife, ambulance-chasing "evil-doers" who hide behind the moniker "Attorney" and participate in what is called "the legal system." What a f--king joke that is! They enrich themselves by taking away everything they can steal (legally) from the average terrorized homeowner, stock market investor, business person, teacher or municipal government. They have no source of wealth except other people?s money and they are out to get all of it they can. They have a bullshit rationale about representing the injured and damaged. What a f--king joke! There is one firm in Los Angeles that was reported on ?60 Minutes? that sues businesses that have been sited for code violations by the city. The firm doesn?t even represent clients, just the general population. The program showed a hard-working old couple who they successfully sued for (as I recall) $10,000 on top of the other trouble and fines they suffered from the city when their restaurant was sited by the health department. I forget where the settlements go, except we know who gets their huge bloodsucking ?share.? Legislation was in process to prevent these types of actions. Attorney groups opposed it.

This cancer is so deep in our culture that, like violence, we are fascinated by it to the point that it has become entertainment. It's just like people who live in such violent areas that they are afraid to go outside. Locked inside they enjoy program after program about the scourge is ruining their lives.

The legal entertainment started with ?Perry Mason? and progressed through John Grishom. Now there must be 15 reality type court programs like "The Peoples Court" on every day, along with the dedicated channel called "Court TV.?

Of course the weasels continue to pour into the law schools. My latest telephone directory comes in two volumes - White Pages (personal listings) and Yellow Pages (business listings.) On the front of the White Pages book there is a 5X7 pull-off card for an ambulance chaser: "ACCIDENT? Call the Accident Attorneys. No Up-Front Charges." Just below this card is an add across the bottom of the cover for another one, who sells ?aggressive representation? for "Slip and Fall."

The business listings have 70 pages of bright orange pages for attorneys, but just 60 pages for all things automotive. There is one heavy paper tab sticking out of the middle of one of the books. Space on this tab must be expensive! ?M. Hercules Harris, Personal Injury Attorney.? (Not the real name, but similarly heroic sounding.)

Even if we squeak through life without having one of these lowlifes take our money directly, we are always paying them. Look at the crisis that doctors face in malpractice insurance costs and look at my $288 a month Kaiser HMO premium. Look at all of the ambulance chaser ads and look at your auto insurance premium. We are hostages. Well maybe more like sheep who love their pen.

Some doctors have made small stands against this outrage by having work stoppages, but mostly they just quietly take down their shingles and go out of private practice. The guy I love is the man who took a stand by filling his attorney with bullets on national TV a few months ago. ?Because he took my money.? But basically the cancer is so deep in our system that we have been overwhelmed and, after all, it?s legal. Of course the madness will spread beyond our farang borders, but I don?t think it will take over in Thailand in my lifetime. I breathe much more freely in LOS where, when there?s an accident the parties just run away, or walk away, or hand over a sum of money, but nothing disastrous. Farangs pay more of course. Mai pen rai.

BUT, because your grandchild will be wearing a helmet in the shower and because cars stop when pedestrians give any sign that they might be thinking about crossing a street, we have a surfeit of public safety. We probably won?t disappear into a hole in the street or drive into an unmarked trench in a road work area, but the price we pay in money and freedom is almost incalculable.

Oh...by the way Mr. buddha, I have contacted my attorney regarding your abuse of the word ?ridiculous.? I told him it hurt when I saw it and he was very sympathetic. He's a really nice guy. He is thinking of a $25,000 dollar action on my behalf but will consider a settlement. Or would you rather go to court? He?ll be coming after legal fees, you know.

How does a thousand sound?

GG

Shouldn't this be on the "Politics" board?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Khun_Kong,

"Shouldn't this be on the "Politics" board?"

We don't have a Politics board as we have a no politics rule. As long as the thread stay on track - discussing thais common sense also :: - it'll stay in GD. If not it'll be moved to the Board Bar.

elef

Mod

Khun_Kong said:
gawguy said:
buddha said:

In the US things are becoming quite redicuous. I imagine that my grandson will have to wear a helmet in the shower in case he slips.

IMO the absolute worst thing about living in my part of farangland (if you have ANY assets) is that we are a society dominated by bloodsucking, lowlife, ambulance-chasing "evil-doers" who hide behind the moniker "Attorney" and participate in what is called "the legal system." What a f--king joke that is! They enrich themselves by taking away everything they can steal (legally) from the average terrorized homeowner, stock market investor, business person, teacher or municipal government. They have no source of wealth except other peoples money and they are out to get all of it they can. They have a bullshit rationale about representing the injured and damaged. What a f--king joke! There is one firm in Los Angeles that was reported on 60 Minutes that sues businesses that have been sited for code violations by the city. The firm doesnt even represent clients, just the general population. The program showed a hard-working old couple who they successfully sued for (as I recall) $10,000 on top of the other trouble and fines they suffered from the city when their restaurant was sited by the health department. I forget where the settlements go, except we know who gets their huge bloodsucking share. Legislation was in process to prevent these types of actions. Attorney groups opposed it.

This cancer is so deep in our culture that, like violence, we are fascinated by it to the point that it has become entertainment. It's just like people who live in such violent areas that they are afraid to go outside. Locked inside they enjoy program after program about the scourge is ruining their lives.

The legal entertainment started with Perry Mason and progressed through John Grishom. Now there must be 15 reality type court programs like "The Peoples Court" on every day, along with the dedicated channel called "Court TV.

Of course the weasels continue to pour into the law schools. My latest telephone directory comes in two volumes - White Pages (personal listings) and Yellow Pages (business listings.) On the front of the White Pages book there is a 5X7 pull-off card for an ambulance chaser: "ACCIDENT? Call the Accident Attorneys. No Up-Front Charges." Just below this card is an add across the bottom of the cover for another one, who sells aggressive representation for "Slip and Fall."

The business listings have 70 pages of bright orange pages for attorneys, but just 60 pages for all things automotive. There is one heavy paper tab sticking out of the middle of one of the books. Space on this tab must be expensive! M. Hercules Harris, Personal Injury Attorney. (Not the real name, but similarly heroic sounding.)

Even if we squeak through life without having one of these lowlifes take our money directly, we are always paying them. Look at the crisis that doctors face in malpractice insurance costs and look at my $288 a month Kaiser HMO premium. Look at all of the ambulance chaser ads and look at your auto insurance premium. We are hostages. Well maybe more like sheep who love their pen.

Some doctors have made small stands against this outrage by having work stoppages, but mostly they just quietly take down their shingles and go out of private practice. The guy I love is the man who took a stand by filling his attorney with bullets on national TV a few months ago. Because he took my money. But basically the cancer is so deep in our system that we have been overwhelmed and, after all, its legal. Of course the madness will spread beyond our farang borders, but I dont think it will take over in Thailand in my lifetime. I breathe much more freely in LOS where, when theres an accident the parties just run away, or walk away, or hand over a sum of money, but nothing disastrous. Farangs pay more of course. Mai pen rai.

BUT, because your grandchild will be wearing a helmet in the shower and because cars stop when pedestrians give any sign that they might be thinking about crossing a street, we have a surfeit of public safety. We probably wont disappear into a hole in the street or drive into an unmarked trench in a road work area, but the price we pay in money and freedom is almost incalculable.

Oh...by the way Mr. buddha, I have contacted my attorney regarding your abuse of the word ridiculous. I told him it hurt when I saw it and he was very sympathetic. He's a really nice guy. He is thinking of a $25,000 dollar action on my behalf but will consider a settlement. Or would you rather go to court? Hell be coming after legal fees, you know.

How does a thousand sound?

GG

Shouldn't this be on the "Politics" board?

Maybe, but did you have to quote the whole post? ....... Oh shit. :doah::help:

Hi

Shouldn''t that be THB not USD :p

What about Thais and electricity...up north!!!

Stayed a few times in homes of my Ex MP gf cousins ect.

First time i turned on a light switch..thought my life was over....blue sparks.

One ""home"" we drove over leads on the way in running from ""hut"" to hut :doah:

Don''t even start talking about the gas cylinders out back :D

Hua Nguu said:

Hi Artiew,

I have certainly more than once thought that the expression frequently used about thai people - happy go lucky - isn`t too far fetched. Also in terms of personal safety.

My number 1 biggest beef with Thailand on the personal safety front is ... well I was going to say "pedestrian safety" but that's an oxymoron in LOS. That is to say, there are usually no provisions for getting across any street. Pattaya is a prime example. Beach Road and Second Road. One way roads with people racing at high speed. NOT ONE provision for pedestrians. You must wait and then dart desperately across when you think there is enough of a break that you might not get hit. Thai traffic management (another oxymoron) is so bad (traffic lights that are red for 3 minutes) that they just couldn't stand to allow a situation where only pedestrians can go.

Anyway, once you are aged to the point of slowing down and maybe a bit off balance on the back of a motorbike and don't have a car to ride in, you're not going!! Well maybe you can get across Second Rd at 6AM, but that's about it.

Thailand has the fiscal resources to manage this situation a lot better. It's just that they don't have the intellectual ability to

recognize the problem. Or culturally, since the engineers and politicians have cars, what do they care? And of course they are culture bound, "We've always done it this way. It's good enough." No matter how littered the landscape may be with traffic casualties.

GG

I had several discussions about this very phenomenon while living in Thailand and remember talking about it on the old Delphi board as well. The conclusion, beyond economics, was that the Buddhist belief in impermanence contributes to a devaluation of life. Why worry about death when your underlying belief system tells you you'll just be reborn again? And if you made enough merit you may even come back to a better life than you currently experience. Even if this belief isn't in the forefront of their thinking, and even if they don't truly understand the concept, this belief system is ingrained in them from an early age. Poverty, crime, and the social hierarchy all contribute as well but this belief in the impermanence of life is at the core.

In the West many of us are brought up to believe we have one shot at life so we better be damn careful with it. Although of course there are wide degrees to which care is taken and many just give up. This is a pretty simplistic explanation but it sort of sums up the gist of the previous discussions.

Archived