Interesting afternoon in Phnom Penh

Ranger

I have spent the last 2 nights/days in Phnom Penh with a Cambodian bar girl (Khmer) and although she speaks almost no English, we seem to be able to communicate well enough. We had lunch at a small food stall next to Wat Phnom (hope my stomach can handle the bacteria) and then walked around the temple. She wanted me to come see her home, so we hopped on my bike and she navigated me to the outskirts of Phnom Penh. We went down increasing smaller dirt roads until we stopped at her "house".

It was a 1 room wooden shack with a tin roof and dirty cement floor. I got to meet the 4 little brothers (who were quite friendly) as well as Mom and Pop (both younger than me!). They did have a small TV and VCD player, which as far as I could see were the only appliances in the home (besides 1 electric fan). The girl sent one of the brothers off to buy me a Coke (with her money) and we sat on the bed (only 1 bed, although there was a hammock) and watched VCD music/karaoke. Nobody in the family spoke any English, so it was mostly just smiles, nods and laughter. Of course, they talked plenty about me and I just smiled in agreement.

After a few minutes, more and more people appeared to stare at the white guy. A couple of her aunts brought their daughters to see me (Both very pretty and about the same age as my girl 19-20). The old ladies were chattering away while pushing their daughters towards me. I couldn't understand a word, but I think I know what they were saying. "Here's my beautiful daughter. She would make a great wife. Please marry her so you can rescue us all from abject poverty". Or maybe "Take her for one night so we can eat for a month?" :o. My girl didn't appreciate this as she grabbed ahold of me possessively and told her aunts to back off. By the time I left, there were over 20 people (mostly children) crammed in the room. I said my goodbyes and attempted to find my way back to the city. Got lost once and the cops tried to pull me over for making an illegal turn (I thought there weren't any traffic rules here!). I just ignored them again and rode away :neener:.

I'll stop by her bar and pick her up again tonight. She knows I'm married and am leaving in a couple of days, so I'm not really sure what the point of the family visit was. Maybe a play for sympathy? It does make you think about why the girls do what they do. I've seen bargirl's apartments in BKK and Pattaya before, but those were luxury accomodations compared to this. It puts some perspective on life.

Ranger

I've seen bargirl's apartments in BKK and Pattaya before, but those were luxury accomodations compared to this. It puts some perspective on life

Thanks, Ranger - great report, and a welcome change from the usual 'We got laid 20 times in Cambodia for $50 !' stories that make my stomach churn. The endemic poverty in Cambodia is an international disgrace, yet the people can still smile - thats what makes Asia so special in the midst of this fucked-up world.

>> It sounds like Thailand for 20 years ago. <<

Yep, I have heard this comparison many times. It is really interesting to stick together with a girl for a couple of days and to leave the beaten track for some time. This will put, as Ranger said, some perspective on life. I don't know why, but the rooms where the girls are living, are very small and cheap. Within PNH a (girl's) room is hardly more than USD 20 per month. The rooms are small, but the girls can life with it and they seem to feel comfortable.

Unfortunate state of affiars and not wanting to be argumentative here as of course some BG's in LOS have nice apartments. Lest not forget some don't. I personally think a simple shack on a lonely Khmen dirt road with one's family is a step up from a shared cubicle in the rust belt of Bangkok inhaling air you can almost taste because it has so much pollution and your family and even kid(s) which means almost as much as Buddha are so far away you can rarely see them again. But the extra cash does get you the fringe benefits of the latest nokia phone though. Is it better? :dunno:

welcome change from the usual 'We got laid 20 times in Cambodia for $50 !'

Actually, I believe it's 10 times for $50 :o. Anyway, I'm still hanging out with the same girl and will actually be sad to leave tomorrow. We had a nice lunch at a Khmer restaurant right on the Mekong. Peter1964 was supposed to join us, but his driver didn't know the way.

If the trip to see the family was for sympathy, then it worked as I gave her an extra generous tip this morning. I won't be so cynical though and just enjoy it for what it was.

Ranger

You're right. Cambodians cross the Thai border into Thailand just like the Mexicans cross the border into America looking for opportunity. When I was taking the minivan from the border in Klong Yai to Trat, there were several military checkpoints conducted by Thai military personnel checking the documentation of all Cambodians on board. Also, a former GF of mine from Buri Ram(near Cambodia) told me there are a lot of Cambodians who live there illegally.

Hi Belem,

I published a chart about 18 months ago showing the relative wealth per head of population for a host of nations, from the developed Western countries down. Thailand was well ahead of Cambodia (bottom of the list ..), and I would imagine that the gap has widened considerably since then. The Asian Tigers have begun to roar again, but countries like Cambodia, Burma and Laos are being left behind.

Archived