King's Head, Soho - CLOSING

carew66

travelled up to London on the 16th for maybe my last trip to the King's Head.

good to meet up with Yalb,Bangkokbutcher,STH,ib13(good luck in Sweden),Carew 66 and other friends.

stayed overnight at STH's place(thanks my friend.... :up:) and had a few Beers with him and a friend on Saturday afternoon.... :beer:

Carew and i had the chat about the Clash,but he's still wrong and after all WTF does he know music?....... :neener:

thanks for disappearing for a while and leaving me to look after your friend.

had a good chat and she spoke more sense in one sentence then you have ever said...... :cover:

look forward to seeing the Guys again and keep me informed if and when a new venue is found.

but i'm not coming if you can't promise me the Chinese Girls walking around all the time.

you don't think i turn up to have a chat with you lot do you?....... :nono:

• 1 month later...

There has been a stay of execution - don't get excited, it's only for another 2 weeks. It's the penultimate Friday night on 27 Feb.

It might get a bit crowded as the Direct Action (Critical Mass) guys and girls are having a party (but I guess they'll mostly be using the Dive Bar downstairs a.k.a The Thermae).

There is currently a photo exhibition in the Kings bar area. Excellent stuff taken by one of the regulars, a film maker. Also a brief potted history accompanying it - for instance, did you know that the Pet Shop Boys credit the Kings Head as the inspiration for 'West End Girls'? Strange but true. The b&w photos look as though they were taken in 1955, they are really sharp but show the regulars and the staff in a real moody and dark way.

I popped in there yesterday at 11.30am (!) and Michael said that the wind-down was a miserable business. He wished it was all over as the slow funeral is prolonging the pain.

No news on a new venue. Yet. There is something in the pipeline at about 90% certainty.

"Carew and i had the chat about the Clash,but he's still wrong and after all WTF does he know music?".

Too much, too much. Certainly enough to know that a certain swaggering young gun of punk was the son of a diplomat. Hardly the authentic voice of disaffected youth.

"White riot, I wanna riot, white riot a riot of my own - once I've checked my shares and paid the chauffeur"

Archived