King's Head, Soho - CLOSING

carew66

That's it in a nutshell really.

On 21 February the King's Head, Gerrard Street, London W1 will cease to be.

Apparently, the company which owns the freehold have decided that the the King Zed isn't trendy enough so we will be looking for another HQ in central London.

So, if anyone was 'popping in ' on us after this date then you won't find us. Just another freakin' wine bar full of braying fuckspuds, supping designer lager whilst waiting for the 8.50pm to Godalming.

I know the Kings was a dump. That's why we liked it. The characters in that place often made it look like Hogarth via Shanghai and the decor hadn't changed since 1975, but it was 'home'.

Michael - who you may recall sent us off on our last Thai trip with free beers in the morning - is looking for a similar venue and will be keeping in touch with us. Some of the locals will have to be transplanted extremely carefully. There's one old boy who has been sat on the same bar stool since VE Day and he'll have to be moved very carefully indeed; we didn't tell him that Japan had surrendered shortly afterwards.

Dreadfull news Carew. Terrible indeed.

I'll never forget turning up just before I left old Blighty for Siam again. EVERYONE gave me a standing ovation as I stumbled through the crowd.

OK, my leg was in plaster and I was knocking everyones drinks over, but I'm sure they were sorry to see me go.

Sure do miss that place. I'll make sure I'm drunk down under on the 21st . R.I.P.

that certainly is bad news Carew.

i hope to be up on Friday(16th) to welcome you all back from your latest trip to LOS.

the KH was a good place to watch all the Chinese Girlies walking around outside...... :hubba:

where are we going to find another pub which offers the same amount of eye-candy walking around?..... :(

Typical central London. :rolleyes: Knock down all the decent boozers and replace them with poncey wine bars for the yuppie twats. :cussing: Either that or, ironically, some big brewery conglomerate may well buy the drum and turn it into a "traditional English alehouse" theme pub. :doah: Jesus Christ: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :banghead:

I loved that boozer, always had a few afternoon pints :beer: there when I was in London: a haven of grimy, fuggy reality amidst a maze of anaesthetised plastic tourist traps. A sad day indeed. :(

jack ::

Well, that's the thing. The KH is home to so many Soho roues and the 'local' for the Chinese community, it will be difficult if not impossible to find somewhere close by with the same attractions and atmosphere.

Looks as though we will be going down the 'basement drinking den' route then. I don't suppose the Groucho will have us...

Archived