Anyone interested in some good, but cheap earbuds?

short-time

Over the years I have owned dozens of stereo headphones and earbuds. Most sounded fairly bad, with the worst generally being those that were included with portable Walkmans, CD, Minidisc and MP3 players (even with expensive units the earphones are usually crap).

At home I use Grado SR80's, but they are too large and inefficient for portable use. With earbuds I have had best luck with some of the older Sony hi-end models in the $40 -$50 price range. That is until I picked up a pair of Koss, model: 'The Plug' for only $15 not long ago. After break-in the overall sound quality of these little gems is just remarkable. Excellent bass with good hi-end definition, and the best feature is their extreme high efficiency.

My hearing has never been all that great, so with the low power output of most portables (it's often in the 5 ? 10 mW per channel range), it can be difficult to get enough volume if you like your music loud. The Plug has a sensitivity rating of 112 db SPL/1mW, which is the highest ratio I have ever seen.

I took a pair of these along on my last trip and used them with a Casio Exilim E2-M2 combination MP3 player/digital camera. Great match and the whole contraption will easily fit in your shirt pocket.

So fellas, if you are in the market for some quality earbuds give 'The Plug' a try.

PS: I am only recommending this specific model - I've tried other models of Koss earbuds and they sounded like shit.

ST

Archived